- Return to unfinished application
Number of Posts
INTERNAL AND EXTERNAL APPLICANTS
Shift Allowances/Enhancements/ Additional Info
DNA Elimination Required
Greater Manchester Police is one of the largest police forces in the UK and is responsible for keeping Manchester's population of almost three million safe. Manchester has been billed as the most diverse city in Europe with its population speaking at least 200 different languages, leading to the city being named as Britain's "City of Languages". As a police force, GMP covers an area of 1,276 square km, deals with over 800,000 incidents a year and always aims to serve the public to the highest standards.
GMP has an exciting opportunity for Enhanced Crime Scene Investigators to become part of our Forensic Services Team. Successful applicants will be based in a Crime Scene Investigation Unit on one of our 10 districts, working alongside fellow CSIs, building relationships with police officers, investigating crime of all types, and bringing offenders to justice.
As an Enhanced CSI you will receive:
• £28,530-£30,375 per year
• Allowances including;
• Between 7.5 and 10% shift allowance
• 10.86% weekend enhancement
• Standby allowance
• 24 days annual leave rising to 29 days after 5 years' service and 32 days after 10 years.
• Public holidays
We are looking for individuals who want to have a career as an Enhanced Crime Scene Investigator.
We are looking for someone who has:
• A good standard of education
• An inquisitive and enquiring mind
• The ability to communicate well, both verbally and in writing
• A logical approach to problem solving
• Attention to detail
• A clean driving licence
And who is:
• Able to adapt and innovate
• Able and willing to work shifts (0700-2300), including weekends (1 in 2)
• A team player
The main responsibilities of the role are to:
• Gather information
• Assess incidents for forensic potential
• Attend and examine all types of crime scenes utilising the three scientific support disciplines of photography, forensics and fingerprints
• Record and recover evidence at crime scenes
• Liaise with investigators, providing advice and guidance on the scene, including the evidential value of evidence
• Support victims in moving on from being a victim of crime If you think you have what it takes to be an Enhanced Crime Scene Investigator in Greater Manchester Police please evidence ONLY the below statements on your application at the Support Statement stage. Please note if you do not evidence the below your application will not meet our shortlisting criteria.
• Experience of dealing with people in a wide variety of situations
• Proven track record of dealing with complex problems
• Able to develop positive working partnerships
• Able to prioritise, assess incidents/situations and make a reasoned decision to take appropriate action
• Ability to work on own initiative and/or as a team to deliver the objectives of the unit and deliver an efficient service to the customer
• Ability to know when to pull for assistance/expertise
• Able to produce accurate and concise written work.
• Demonstrates competence in using IT systems including forensic IT systems
• Successfully completed the Crime Scene Investigation National training course (Stage 1) external residential course or relevant equivalent.
• Apply enhanced photographic skills
Please note, successful candidates will be required to provide fingerprints and DNA samples, which will be used to speculatively search against local and national databases prior to appointment. This is to ensure that candidates have not previously come to adverse police attention and are not linked to any outstanding crime scenes.
There is 1 permanent position and 2 temporary positions.