- Thames Valley Police
- Abingdon Banbury, Oxfordshire, Loddon Valley, Maidenhead, Aylesbury, Milton Keynes
- £30,973 per annum (including unsocial hours allowance) plus benefits.
- Closing date
- 29 Jan 2023
- Clearance Level
- SC, None / Undisclosed, NPPV
- Administration / Secretarial, Intelligence, Management / Executive, Policing, Telecommunications, Counter Terrorism, Investigation, Surveillance
- Job Type
As a Detention Officer, you will work within Thames Valley Police custody suites providing support to Custody Officers and police investigators as they deal with a range of individuals – some being the most challenging and vulnerable in society. You will be the first point of contact in the suite for both officers and detainees, and will be responsible for managing risks and assessing vulnerabilities 24/7, 365 days a year under the supervision of police Sergeants.
You will assist in the preparation, completion and administration of all documentation, information and computer records relating to persons in custody to ensure compliance with relevant legislation and operational accuracy, as well as responding to dynamic situations that will require you to think fast and act professionally.
You will be IT-literate, full of initiative and have excellent communication skills. You will maintain resilience when physically confronted. You will be required to complete 12 months’ service in the role of Detention Officer before you can apply for other roles. Proven ability to work flexibly and in a shift environment. Must also be willing to work at other locations in line with operational demand. Click here to watch a video about the role of our Detention Officers.
- English Language/Literature GCSE (Grade 9-4/A-C) or equivalent qualification such as Level 2 Functional Skills or higher academic qualifications - certificates will be required. If you do not hold the mentioned qualifications, recent equivalent professional experience will also be considered.
- Age 18 at date of application – no upper age limit
- Full Driving Licence
- The ability to undertake the standard fitness test and achieve level 5:4 with a BMI between 18-32
- Five weeks’ training at our Force Training Centre in Sulhamstead, designed to give you a solid understanding in the essentials of a Detention Officer’s role and powers.
- Receive officer safety training, which includes de-escalation and restraint techniques, as well as first aid training to College of Policing standards.
Successful candidates will go into a recruitment pool to fill planned Detention Officer Courses throughout the year, subject to vacancies.
Only one application should be submitted for either Berkshire, Buckinghamshire or Oxfordshire. Duplicate applications will be withdrawn.
Please use Google Chrome when completing your application, wherever possible, as this will enhance performance.
The closing date for enquiries and receipt of completed applications is 29th January 2023.
Get job alerts
Create a job alert and receive personalised job recommendations straight to your inbox.Create alert