Interim Database Administrator – SQL Server
Job Ref: MPS 0005 AF7D / 1
Clearance: DV only
Approx 6 month assignment
This role requires a flexible working approach and may on occasion require travel to sites around the UK, as well as working on-call. There may also be occasions where work is required outside of core business hours for maintenance work on critical systems.
This is a new role supporting business-critical systems that are vital to the organisation’s work in an ITIL-aligned environment. As the Administrator for MS-SQL Server Databases you will be responsible for the maintenance of multiple databases within a live support environment. Working within the Applications Management team the daily duties of this job will include daily health checks, responding to SQL related issues, helping to interface SQL databases with other systems or report queries and developing the use and accessibility of service-related data for internal reports. Experience of installing and maintaining SQL databases is essential as is an understanding of complex maintenance and high availability setups such as Always on HA, Mirroring, log shipping and Microsoft Clustering.
You will be expected to be able to query databases using T-SQL on a regular basis and have an understanding of program-oriented SQL functions such as stored procedures and triggers. There will also be opportunities to use some of the system databases to support wallboard, system report and management report websites and capabilities. Using your knowledge of Database Management and ITIL-environments, you will take the initiative when it comes to developing and utilising good working practices and processes. You will have customer service experience and be able to explain technical issues simply.
- Work within a service team monitoring MS-SQL Databases, applications servers, log files and disk space.
- The SME and point of escalation for all database related issues within the Application Support function.
- Manage the database layer across the estate supporting multiple high priority instances of SQL Server in some cases hosting multiple databases.
- Resolve issues with databases, working with third party suppliers to alter schemas, update indexes and plan updates.
- Perform daily checks and maintenance duties.
- Facilitate changes to the data layer and managing daily duties such as SQL queries and bulk data imports.
- Ensure all database instances are patched up to date in line with Microsoft patch release scheduling work with minimum supervision.
- Strong customer focus – understand the needs of the internal and external customer and keeping them in mind when taking actions or making decisions.
- Work constructively with Server Infrastructure and Networks to ensure suitable platforms are in place for all database stacks.
- Consistently seek to improve database layer monitoring and maintenance.
“Role Requirements” – to give yourself the maximum chance of success please try and ensure your CV addresses the following essential criteria:
- Currently or progressing towards being MCSA (SQL) certified.
- ITIL v3 – Foundation Certification.
- Working in a SQL Database Administrator Role.
- Querying MS-SQL databases using T-SQL as well as an understanding of program-oriented SQL functions.
- Installing and maintaining SQL databases.
- Incident and Service Request Resolution using Service Management Tools.
- Understanding of ITIL process, incident management, change management and problem management including working to strict SLAs.
- An understanding of complex maintenance and high availability setups such as Always on HA, Mirroring, log shipping and Microsoft Clustering.
Other “Essential Requirements” – Please check to ensure that your CV addresses the following items:
- Our clients are generally seeking applicants who are reasonably local, so on that basis we would ideally like you to supply us with your address (or at least your post code) and a telephone number so that we can reach you during working hours.
- Your recent UK working experience going back at least 5 years, or full employment history if you have been working for fewer years than this.
- Your availability to work either immediately, or at short notice.
- DV Clearance.
- Please refer to the Role Requirements section above - your CV must address the requirements listed.
Other preferable/desirable details to include on your CV, if applicable:
- Any local authority/public sector experience
- Any relevant qualifications held or being studied for.