UK Defence Academy, Shrivenham, SN6 8LA Full Time, Permanent (37.5 hours per week) £30,000 - £40,000 per annum plus benefits (depending on experience)
We have an exciting opportunity at The Defence Academy for a Mechanical Supervisor to be based at our site in Shrivenham, Swindon.
Serco is contracted to provide Total Facilities Management to the Defence Academy of the UK (DA). This prestigious establishment is responsible for post-graduate education and the majority of the command, staff, leadership, Defence management, acquisition and technology training for members of the UK Armed Forces and MOD Civil Servants. Serco supports the DA as the MOD's primary link with UK universities and international military educational institutions.
Working within the Serco Estates Team, the Mechanical Supervisor will be responsible for managing a team to deliver mechanical operations across the estate and will be responsible for the in-house mechanical team to ensure Serco meets its contractual requirements.
Main responsibilities of the role include:
What you'll need to do the role
- Job planning of in house mechanical reactive and PPM activity, to ensure maximum efficiency and resource utilisation.
- Ensuring all jobs are updated every 5 days as per daily reminder email and report.
- Line management duties and responsibilities, including HR-related requirements, absence management, performance reviews including monthly 1:1s, mentoring and training as required.
- To subject all areas of responsibility to continuous review with the objective of identifying and implementing improvement and cost saving measures.
- Delivery of the Serco PPM Quality Assurance process for PPM and reactive tasks.
- Ensure all staff training is kept up to date and all relevant skilled persons assessments and authorisations are in place if applicable.
- Review of reactive work activities in order to reduce reactive work demand and processes.
- Health and Safety compliance for the property campus, alongside the delivery of safe methods of working (contractor control, permits to works etc.).
To be considered for this role you will need previous experience in a similar role at a supervisory or management level. A relevant formal qualification in plumbing and heating, experience of vented and unvented HWS and experience of overseeing sub-contractors are all essential for this role. You will need strong knowledge of the Water Supply (Water Fittings) Regulations 1999 and have a detailed understanding of relevant regulations, legislation and standards, and have an excellent knowledge and application of H&S and Environmental matters, with particular relevance to those impacting the construction industry.
You will need excellent planning and organisational skills with an analytical, financial and numeric approach to problem-solving. You will need to be able to demonstrate clear decision making in a timely manner in order to meet demanding programmes of work. You will be highly literate and experienced with IT, particularly in MS Office - including Email, Outlook, Word and Excel.
Previous MOD experience with an ability to demonstrate clear understanding of relevant MOD JSPs alongside a Gas Safe qualification with commercial gas experience and an OFTEC qualification/experience are highly desirable but not essential. What we offer
We have a mandate to deliver brilliantly. If you think this role would suit you, working in an exciting and challenging environment with like-minded individuals, please apply now and upload a copy of your CV and covering letter.
- Free, secure onsite parking.
- Opportunity to join many sports and activity clubs (heavily subsidised subscription costs).
- Gym membership, the site boasting 2 fully equipped gymnasiums at only £3 per month.
- A heated outdoor swimming pool (open May-Sep).
- 18 hole golf course (annual membership circa £375).
- Fully equipped riding stables, with the opportunity for lessons.
- Other sporting facilities include tennis courts, astroturf football pitches and much more.
- 25 days annual leave plus bank holidays and the chance to purchase additional days.
- Pension contributions - up to 6%
- Serco discounts which includes cinema, entertainment and online shopping discounts, cycle to work scheme and discounts on mobile phone plans and leisure centre memberships.
- We are constantly challenging ourselves and each other to deliver brilliantly, and you will too, working in a company passionate about diversity and inclusion.
#defencejobs About Serco
At Serco, not only is the nature of the work we do important, everyone has an important role to play, from caring for vulnerable people to managing complex public services. We are a team of 50,000 people responsible for delivering essential public services around the world in areas including defence, transport, justice, immigration, healthcare and citizen services. We are innovators, committed to redesigning and improving public services for the benefit of everyone.
By joining Serco you will have unlimited access to our Global Employee Networks - SercoInspire (Gender), SercoEmbrace (Multicultural), SercoUnlimited (Disability) and In@Serco (LGBT & Networks). Serco Employee Networks, led by colleagues who are passionate about diversity, inclusion and belonging. Apply
Please click on the apply button to complete your application. Occasionally we receive a large volume of applications for our roles and when that happens we sometimes bring the closing date forward, so please apply promptly to avoid disappointment.
At Serco, we see people first and foremost for their performance and potential. We are committed to building a diverse and inclusive organisation that supports the needs of all. As such we will make reasonable adjustments at interview through to employment for our candidates and strongly encourage applications from a diverse candidate pool. We are open to discussions around flexibility and flexible working. We operate a hybrid work structure in many of our business areas. We are proudly Disability Confident Leader employers and holder of the Silver Inclusive Employer Standard. Disabled applicants who meet the minimum criteria for the job will be given the opportunity to demonstrate their abilities at an interview.
At Serco we support fair access to employment for those with unspent criminal convictions through the 'Ban the Box' pledge (some may be exempt due to the nature of the role and the security clearance required). Please contact our recruitment team directly on 0345 010 4000 to discuss.