We are working with our client, who are a Global Service Provider, looking for an experienced Oracle DBA, helping to deliver transformative digital work for high profile private and public sector clients. Working within Central Government business units, you’ll have the opportunity to play an important role, working on highly-rewarding projects that help keep the UK’s public safe.
Contractual Base Location: Scope to work remote but The DBA must be located within 60 minutes of Reading or Bridgend (or alternatively willing to locate to those locations during the week), in order to cover overnight on-call duties and out of hours overtime.
Duration: 6-9 months +
• CURRENT DV mandatory
NATIONAL SECURITY CLEARANCE must be active and transferable.
The following criteria must be met:
1. Security clearances must not be more than 10 years old or 7 years for DV; and it must have more than a year remaining before expiry – ideally 18 months
2. The individual must have worked on a government contract or for a government department/Police Force in a role requiring NSV clearance within the last 12 months;
3. The individual must not have resided overseas for more than 6 months during the break in service between government contracts.
The Database Administrator will have a Primary database skill of Oracle. The DBA may also have a secondary skill of another RDBMS (SQL Server, MySQL, Ingres, Voltdb, Informix, Postgres). They will have at least 2/3 years’ experience as a DBA.
• To work on Database Transition / Projects and work to Project Manager timescales
• Database standards. To ensure new service is successfully transitioned into BAU services.
• To work to DBA Build/Install standards or Customer Standards as agreed by DBA
• Manager. To ensure all DBA documentation produced is to required ISO standards.
• To perform Change Management duties within Change KPI targets, concentrating mainly on
• major changes.
• To provide DBA Incident Management/Problem Management support and resolve Incident
• Tickets/Calls Within agreed Service Levels and KPI’s including P1’s and Problem Tickets.
• To perform Duty DBA duties to required standards to ensure Incident response times are met
• and that calls are allocated to DBA’s within required timescales.
• To ensure all DBA documentation produced is to required ISO standards.
• To mentor and lead Junior and Trainee DBA’s.
• Service Delivery and Communication
• DBA Transition
• Database Administration
• DBA Change management and implementation (CPMS/OneITSM)
• DBA Incident & Problem Management resolution and timeliness (OneITSM/USD/Easyvista)
• Documentation & Management reporting
• Administration Tasks (Timesheets, Mandatory Training, Reporting)
• 3 Years DBA experience. Including Database Administration & Implementation, Database Backup technology, Oracle Dataguard, Oracle RAC.
• Multi-platform experience Linux, Unix, Wintel, and VMware
Database Project Plans
Attend Project and transition meetings
Attend office and customer sites for KT
Attend all Database Meetings as required
Oracle RAC on Windows
Experience of mentoring/coaching trainees
Cover for Senior DBA
Database Automation Proposals
Database Standard Proposals
Database Health Checks & Recommendation
Oracle Apps, Oracle BI and Oracle Financials, SSRS, SSAS. SSIS, ETL and Data Mining
Capabilities – Standard
DBA Admin 1 & 2, DBA Backup & Recovery, Oracle Enterprise Manager. Database standby. To OCA/OCP standard.
DBA Administration of a primary core RDBMS either Oracle. Also gain knowledge of a secondary RDBMS. DBA can work independently and successfully implement expected technologies.
Scripting to Intermediate level. Unix, Linux, Windows Scripting and Basic Server admin
Scripting for housekeeping and scheduling. Creation of database backup and recovery scripts. Problem solving scripts.
SQL Scripting database interrogation and bespoke adhoc scripting.
Scripting for database administration sql queries. Advanced SQL database monitoring scripts. Adhoc scripting for Indexes, backups and log shipping.
Participates in On-call Rota for overnight and weekend support; part of Weekday rota with designated start and end times.
Commercially aware of decisions and actions
Understands how automation can reduce costs and proactive solutions can reduce SLA issues and costs.
Capabilities – Specialist
Oracle, Another RDBMS (SQL Server, MySQL)
This skill acquired are to a level that these technologies can be implemented and supported.
These technologies are to a level of an OCP
Over and above the standard capabilities each DBA will concentrate on Advanced Specialisms:
This is blended across the Shared Service team so that we can support all these technologies with relevant skills including Oracle RAC, Oracle Streams, Oracle Goldengate, Oracle Grid, Oraclel Virtual Manager, Oracle Exadata, Oracle SuperClusters, Oracle Dataguard, Oracle Tuning and Performance, Oracle Multi-tenanted Architecture, Oracle Enterpise Manager Cloud Control. SSRS (Reporting services), SSIS (integration services), SSAS (Analysis Services), MySQL Cluster, MySQL Fabric, MySQL Router (With Fabric Integration), MySQL Multi-Master Replication
If you have the required skill set and you are ready for an exciting new challenge, please apply online today.