Business Unit - Corporate Services
Location: Portsmouth with home working
About the role
Here at Babcock we are looking to recruit for a Data Scientist to join our expanding Information and Insight team.
Babcock Information and Insight (I&I) are looking to build a strong in-house suite of world-leading capabilities to enhance our existing traditional descriptive business BI/Analytics design and delivery approach. IoT Initiatives, Digital Twin, and Time Series Analytics represent a range of activities, which are recognised as important areas of strategic growth
In Information & Insight, we design, build and deliver data and analytics services and products to centrally drive business optimisation and growth. As well as the design, build and support of products, this includes consultancy services using I&I expertise, data scientists, developers and designers, to rapidly help solve business problems and deliver value.
As the Data Scientist you will be primarily accountable for the delivery of solutions including hands-on technical elements, value focused POCs, to some extent project management, technical design elements, value added analytics, enhancing production environments, enhancing data & analytics services, and steering Babcock's technology strategy.
What do I need to do the role?
You will have experience of working in a Data Science capacity and will have knowledge in either; machine learning, commercial engineering or statistical scripting languages / environments.
We would also like you to have;
• Bachelor's or Master's degree in Computer Science, Mathematics, Statistics, Operational Research or similar quantitative field.
• Strong communication skills are essential to regularly deal with the business, as well as with specialists from related fields, including project managers, database developers, software engineers and data scientists.
• Candidates must have outstanding analytical and problem solving skills and a good grasp of the technical side of IoT development, including very strong capabilities with a range of technologies.
• Experience with large data sets, statistical software, and systems is necessary as detailed in the technical competencies.
• Excellent organisational and analytical abilities.
Lastly you will be have excellent communication skills and be able to manage customers expectations.
What else do I need to know?
• You will be required to be in our Portsmouth office on an occasional basis with opportunities to work remotely.
• We are happy to talk about flexible working. Please ask about alternative patterns of work at interview.
• The successful candidate must be able to achieve the appropriate security clearance level for this role.
About Babcock International
For more than a century, Babcock, the Aerospace and Defence company, has been trusted to deliver bespoke, highly-skilled engineering services. We help customers in the UK and around the world to improve the capability, reliability and availability of their most critical assets within the four market sectors of Marine, Land, Aviation, and Nuclear, underpinned by a deep understanding of technology integration, unique infrastructure and specialist training.
We're committed to providing a great employee experience in a supportive and engaging environment. The benefits you can expect to enjoy include a generous holiday entitlement, competitive money purchase pension scheme with life assurance and a share ownership scheme. You'll benefit from excellent career and learning and development opportunities to ensure that you grow and achieve your full potential.
All applications should be made online. Please use a desktop PC or laptop to create your account and apply for a job. Once you've completed this you'll be able to apply to jobs from mobile devices.
If you experience difficulties please check our career website for more information. Recruitment correspondence is normally by email so please check your email account and spam folder regularly.
We are committed to building an inclusive culture and strives to attract talent who thrive in an inclusive and flexible working environment.
If you have a disability or need any reasonable adjustments during the application and selection stages please let us know and we will respond in a way that best fits your specific needs.
Armed Forces Covenant
We are proud to support the Armed Forces community by honouring the Armed Forces Covenant. We recognise the value that Serving Personnel, both Regular and Reserves, Veterans, Uniformed Cadet Instructors and Service Families contribute to our business and the United Kingdom. As part of the Covenant, Babcock offers Reservists and Uniformed Cadet Instructors up to 2 week's special paid leave to help them meet their commitments. To find out more please check our career website for more information.
Job Segment: Scientific, Database, Engineer, Computer Science, Nuclear Engineering, Engineering, Technology