Help us grow
We're looking for a dynamic, innovative, team-player eager to make a difference. Engaging with a variety of stakeholders you will build relationships and take responsibility for efficiently delivering pricing strategy and financial insight for major bidding opportunities at a divisional level, while seeking to continuously improve processes, reporting and modelling outputs.
The difference our new Senior Finance Analyst will make
Babcock Marine is undergoing a transformation programme to equip itself to grow further and faster in the future and it is an exciting time to join the organisation.
The primary requirement for this role is to provide financial insight, governance and challenge to the tendering process for all new opportunities, this role will be responsible for providing a high level of support to multiple major bids concurrently, driven by the business pipeline and demand. A key responsibility of the role is to ensure successful transition of knowledge from bid submission to operational delivery.
• Collaborating with tendering team members, finance business partners and the wider Group.
• Be organised and proactive; managing your work to deadlines and coordinating others as and when required.
• Demonstrating a 'can-do approach' turning your hand to new tasks as / when required.
• Engaging proactively with the business area you support, offering unique insight and opinion, enabling better decisions to be made.
• Improve efficiency; continuously improve processes, reporting and modelling by challenging the status quo.
• Liaise with operational Finance teams ensuring quality handover of project information.
Who we're looking for
• Someone who is prepared to innovate in order to succeed by solving complex problems and implementing elegant solutions.
• Someone who continuously champions high performance, challenges the status quo, actively seeks out different perspectives and speaks up.
• Someone who cares about how things are done, not just getting to the end result but by behaving respectfully towards their team, peers and leaders.
• You will have strong excel skills in both reporting and modelling; specifically utilising features which are efficient without sacrificing simplicity or elegance where possible. We are not looking for over-engineering or a 'black-box' approach.
• You will have experience or background of operating in an engineering or consultancy environment.
• You will be familiar with the principles of project accounting and analytics.
Skills and attributes
• A self-starter, who is performance driven with a desire to make a significant contribution/impact. Is able to work independently and as an active team member.
• Can effectively communicate in a formal review environment, articulating key messages and responding positively to challenge.
• Excellent listening and communication skills and can use them to understand requirements and tasking as well as influence others around them.
• Be able to present financial issues to both finance and non-finance audiences in a clear concise way.
• Can cope with periods of pressure like those that occur during the bidding process by having a hands on, flexible and self-motivated approach.
• Possess the ability to effectively manage your workload, time and stakeholders in order to meet requirements and priorities in a fast paced and dynamic environment.
• Understands the importance of adhering to deadlines at critical points in both the tendering and quarterly cycles and works well to sometimes tight timescales.
• Enjoys learning new systems and is proficient on excel and seeks more efficient ways of working.
• A critical thinker who can understand complex issues (balancing the detail and the big picture), using insight/data (evidence) and their judgement to make good decisions and have a positive impact.
Education and qualifications
Qualified or part-qualified.
In return for your skill and passion, you'll get:
• Flexible working (full or part time considered, minimum 30 hours per week)
• Autonomy to perform the role
• The opportunity to make a real impact, partnering on an ambitious culture transformation programme within Babcock's' fastest growing business unit
As well as:
• Holiday entitlement: 25 days, plus bank holidays
• Pension scheme with employee pension contributions matched up to 8% of salary, with life assurance
• Our Babcock Rewards Platform allows you to choose from a range of benefits that best meet your needs, including: critical illness insurance, travel insurance, healthcare cash plan, dental insurance, childcare vouchers, bike scheme, shopping offers and discounts
• Employee Share Scheme
• Free, independent employee assistance programme, offering confidential information, support and counselling, 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, 365 days a year
• Professional memberships, personal development training and opportunities
• If you are a reservist in the armed forces, we provide up to ten days special paid leave in support of your training commitments
Where it all fits in:
Mission Systems forms a critical, and growing part of Babcock's Marine organisation. As a trusted provider for global defence & security, we have a wide portfolio of best in class technical solutions that enable our customers to carry out their missions. It's a really exciting and fast paced business carrying out a diverse range of activities. Mission Systems employs over 1,200 people across the UK and overseas with the largest sites based in Bristol, Plymouth and Ashchurch.
The Critical Communications Business Unit is over 200 personnel strong with in excess of 70% skilled Engineering staff. We have an ever increasing portfolio of opportunities and an ambition for success and to grow. We also embrace the multitude of internal employee networks support and foster diversity and inclusion within our Babcock team, connecting people across the business and empowering them to achieve their potential. Our Diversity and Inclusion strategy amplifies their influence.
Other need to knows:
• You must be able to achieve the appropriate security clearance level for this role
• We are happy to talk about flexible working. Please ask about alternative patterns of work at interview.
Please let your line manager know that you're applying for this vacancy. You should also let them know if you are attending an interview or assessment for a role.
Please note that you will not be able to access the vacancy details after the closing date so you may wish to keep a copy of this advert and any supporting documents for your records.
All applications should be made online. Please use a desktop PC or laptop to create your account, then you'll be able to apply to jobs from mobile devices. If you experience difficulties, please click here. Recruitment correspondence is normally by email so please check your email account and spam folder regularly.
We are committed to building an inclusive culture and strive to attract talent who thrive in an inclusive and flexible working environment. If you have a disability or need any reasonable adjustments during the application and selection stages please let us know and will respond in a way that best fits your specific needs.
Armed Forces Covenant
We are proud to support the armed forces community by honouring the Armed Forces Covenant. We recognise the value that Serving Personnel, both Regular and Reserves, Veterans, Uniformed Cadet Instructors and Service Families contribute to our business and the United Kingdom. As part of the Covenant, Babcock offers Reservists and Uniformed Cadet Instructors up to 2 week's special paid leave to help them meet their commitments. To find out more please click here.
Babcock International Group
For more than a century, Babcock has been trusted to deliver bespoke, highly skilled engineering services. We help customers in the UK and around the world to improve the capability, reliability and availability of their most critical assets within four market sectors; Marine, Land, Aviation, and Nuclear. We're committed to providing a great employee experience in a supportive and engaging environment. You'll benefit from excellent career and learning and development opportunities to ensure that you grow and achieve your full potential.
This role is within the Marine Sector of Babcock International Group, which delivers a wide array of complex through-life marine engineering services to defence and civil customers across the globe. These range from UK and international naval fleet support, commercial marine, engineering consultancy, weapons handling, equipment support, intelligence, cyber security and training.
Job Segment: Engineer, Nuclear Engineering, Engineering