The world of payments is changing rapidly. New innovative technologies are being developed to meet the changing needs but these can give rise to new threats to users of the payments system, and to the stability of that system as a whole. This means that we need ever stronger protections and more resilient infrastructure.
The Real-Time Gross Settlement System (RTGS) lies at the heart of UK payments. In total, RTGS settles around £600bn of payments each day which is close to the UK's annual GDP every 3 days. The RTGS infrastructure is over 20 years old and, despite its excellent operational record, it needs to be modernised and developed to meet today's needs. Balancing the safeguarding of stability whilst enabling innovation.
The RTGS Renewal Programme has been established to develop the next generation of the Bank of England's Real-Time Gross Settlement (RTGS) system. The way payments are made has changed dramatically in recent years, reflecting changes in the needs of households and companies, changes in technology, and an evolving regulatory landscape. The range of payment providers is growing rapidly. Given the implications of these changes for the Bank's mission and for users, businesses and regulators, it is important that the Bank consider how RTGS will need to evolve to meet and shape payments trends in the coming decades.
Working on the RTGS Renewal Programme will give the successful applicant the opportunity to gain experience in the following areas: big programme delivery on critical national infrastructure; practical application of agile methodology; senior leader exposure; creative problem solving; and cross-functional working.
The RTGS Programme is keen to attract diverse candidates and supports flexible working arrangements. Please consider applying for this role if you meet some or many of the characteristics listed below. Department Overview
As the Project Manager you will be assigned to deliver the training, support and communications workstreams within the RTGS Renewal programme's Internal Readiness Team. You will be able to develop and maintain effective working relationships with senior managers, the wider project and portfolio teams, our technology delivery partner, business stakeholders and technology teams.
The role has a broad responsibility to work across the RTGS Programme Office; Technology and Business divisions to ensure that project deliverables align to the Target Operating model and solution blueprint being delivered by the programme.
In addition to delivering your specific project assignment you will also contribute to the development of the Bank's project management capability, by providing input into the continuing development of the Programme Office and the wider project and programme framework, using your practical experience of delivering projects. Job description
As the Training, Service and Communications Project Manager you will be responsible for the delivery of Internal Readiness project workstreams on a day-to-day basis including:
• The successful delivery of the full scope of the project workstreams.
• Ongoing Agile plan managementand estimating to support the initiation of the workstreams, incorporating all external and internal dependencies
• Establishing appropriate governance arrangements and acceptance criteria for deliverables.
• Proactively monitoring the workstream's overall progress, resolving issues and initiating corrective action as appropriate.
• Lead all aspects of RAID (risks, issues, dependencies and assumptions) including the development of contingency plans.
• Engage with the Transition State 2 and 3 Leads to ensure that internal readiness plans are incorporated within the overall transition plan.
• Engage with internal technology teams, third party service providers. Closely manage their delivery against well-defined cost, time and quality parameters.
• Conduct post project reviews and close down activities. Role Requirements Minimum Essential Criteria
• A track record of successful project delivery throughout the entire project lifecycle.
• Skilled in all aspects of project management including project planning, and RAID management (Risks, Assumptions, Issues and Dependencies).
• IT delivery experience from working closely with technology providers - including in-house teams - to ensure technology deliverables meet requirements and delivered to time, cost and quality
• Business change experience gained from successfully managing the organisational, cultural and stakeholder challenges of large scale change.
• Strong stakeholder management skills, with the ability to negotiate, persuade and influence business decisions at senior management level.
• Strong communication (verbal and written) and communication planning skills and able to represent the project at governance forums / agile ceremonies.
• Strong organisation skills, with the ability to handle conflicting deadlines and priorities.
• Able to use judgement and provide sound justification for decisions, tailoring approach to delivery based on experience.
• Able to work collaboratively across an organisation, building a network of contacts both internally and externally.
• Strong people management capabilities, with experience of line or matrix management of teams. Desirable Criteria
• A recognised project or programme management qualification e.g. APMP, PMP or MSP.
• Experience of managing projects using an agile framework.
• Experience of managing projects spanning multiple business areas within an organisation.
• Experience of delivering projects within the financial services sector.
• Experience of introducing a new service / business change with a large organisation. We anonymise applications so hiring managers will not be able to see your personal information such as name and address when reviewing your submission, including your CV. Please complete work history and the application form questions as requested because incomplete submissions may not be reviewed.
We continue to build an inclusive culture where everyone can be their whole selves and produce their best work. Our focus on inclusion is intended to build greater diversity in order to reflect the society we serve and be an employer of choice.
The closing date for applications is 8th August 2021.
Please apply online, ensuring that you answer the application questions, complete the work history and submit your CV. Reward Package
As a unique institution, we have a reward package which sets us apart from other organisations. It includes a competitive salary, but also a much wider offering, including a defined benefit pension and comprehensive flexible benefits. We also offer a working environment which fully supports individuals through flexible working and wellbeing initiatives.
The salary range for this vacancy is £45,900 - £55,350, dependent on relevant skills and experience. In addition, the total reward package also includes:
- A non-contributory, career average pension giving you a guaranteed retirement benefit of 1/95th of your annual salary for every year worked. There is the option to increase your pension (to 1/50th) or decrease (to 1/120th) in exchange for salary through our flexible benefits programme each year.
- A discretionary performance award based on a current award pool.
- A 7% benefits allowance with the option to take as salary or purchase a wide range of flexible benefits.
- 25 days annual leave with option to buy up to 13 additional days through flexible benefits.
- Private medical insurance and income protection.