The Bank of England is the UK's central bank. Our mission is to deliver monetary and financial stability for the British people.
The Bank of England is a diverse organisation. Each of its 4,000 plus people are committed to public service and dedicated to promoting the good of the people of the United Kingdom by maintaining monetary and financial stability.
Banking, Payments and Innovation Directorate (BPI) supports the Bank's mission to maintain monetary and financial stability by using and sharing its expertise to: develop and operate resilient and efficient banking, payment and custody services; set and influence policy; and to promote innovation.
We are at the heart of the Bank both in terms of our core role in Monetary and Financial Stability, and the wide range of internal stakeholders we collaborate with. BPI has a lead role in one and a significant role in four of the Bank's strategic priorities. The variety and immediacy of the work we do means we are one of the most outward facing and fast moving areas of the Bank, operating the UK's high value payments system (the Real Time Gross Settlement System and CHAPS), maintaining the Bank's readiness to provide Emergency Liquidity Assistance to banks and other financial institutions, and acting as the 'bank' within the Bank of England for government, UK CCPs and other central banks. Department Overview
The Technology Directorate leads all aspect of technology delivery across the Bank, from maintaining critical systems which underpin the UK economy, to providing big data analytics, implementing comprehensive cyber security programmes, and introducing innovative solutions in support of a digital workplace.
Technology's key objective is to support the Bank in achieving our collective mission to promote the good of the people of the UK by maintaining monetary and financial stability. This is achieved through the delivery of appropriate, high performing, resilient solutions and information services across the organisation and externally.
Technology is structured around a simple operating model that ensures transparency and effectiveness in our delivery, prioritisation and cost base for IT services and promotes close working relationships with colleagues so that we can all deliver with pace and agility.
The Domain Lead role sits within the Digital Platforms division, responsible for the technical design, delivery and support of new business services including development, implementation, and ongoing support of IT applications and platforms. The CNI Platform domain is a newly created function within Digital Platforms. Job description
This is a people management role. You will be responsible for day to day management of the team and for defining roles and responsibilities. You will develop your team through sharing information effectively, coaching and communicating a clear vision to ensure that your staff are productive, engaged and motivated to deliver the area's aims. This will include setting clear goals and smart stretching objectives that are aligned to those of the team, division and directorate. You will also be responsible for managing all staff-related matters that may arise including performance, absence and sickness.
The CNI Platform Domain Lead is accountable for the design, build and operations of the 'Critical National Infrastructure' platform. They will lead a team of multi-skilled computer system engineers to deliver a fully maintained and secure CNI platform and support product development activities happening in the Product Development Division, in particular RTGS Renewal and the Financial Systems Solutions domain. Due to its cross functional nature, some colleagues will be seconded to the team by 'matrix management', others will be enduring team members.
The role will ensure first class operations by continually refining the monitoring, security systems and automation capabilities within the platform. This will involve ensuring all environments are available, capacity managed and within third party support tolerances. They will be the 'go-to' person for technical guidance and specialist support for services running on the platform.
The jobholder will maintain strategic relationships with our chosen suppliers and ensure their products meet the highest standard set by the Bank. They will lead the creation and retirement of testing/pre-production environments (including obfuscated datasets or real dataset snapshots as required) in a controlled and automated workflow based method.
The jobholder will develop an understanding of the operations of the RTGS business platform as a critical tenant of the CNI platform, for example, the Settlement engine, Integration services, Payment gateway, API gateway, applications and services. A crucial part of the role will be to lead people through transformation, employing a collaborative and inclusive leadership style to guide colleagues as they grow their skills and understand and embed new best practices. Role Requirements
Domain Leads are a key part of the senior management team across Digital Platforms and are accountable for:
- Domain Ownership - Leading the performance of the domain and its internal development team and partners by driving delivery to time, cost and quality. Act as the main point of contact for all technologies that fall within the domain, maintaining effective governance, operational excellence and highly available systems, whilst striving to deliver on the future vision. Demonstrating deep technical expertise and analytical excellence, providing specialist advice beyond boundaries, and accountable for the domain's technical roadmap, ensuring clear and effective processes are established to ensure successful delivery.
- Leadership, Teamwork & Communication - Accountable for talent management and career development, and for ensuring effective relationships are sustained across wider teams, internal and external partners and suppliers. A Domain Lead will typically have 3-7 direct reports, each leading teams of technicians who develop and maintain key components of the overall IT landscape. Each domain will have between 20-60 people directly aligned to it
- Sourcing and strategic Partner Management - Resolves the appropriate sourcing model(s) for the domain, and the integration of wider industry best practices and technologies into ways of working. Key drivers are to re-use, rationalise and reduce complexity within each domain. Responsible for the relationship with one or more of the Bank's strategic partners/suppliers
- Finance, Contracts & Commercial Capability - Responsible for ensuring robust contracts & commercial capability, striving for the best value for money by continually looking for improvements/efficiencies across both delivery and operational expenditure.
- Technology Strategy - Works closely with Architecture to lead the development, implementation and continual improvement of technologies within the Bank and, more specifically, to produce and articulately communicate a clear view of the future strategy.
- Domain Delivery - Responsible for strategic decision making over delivery, engagement models and methodologies to ensure success for the customer. This includes ensuring alignment between supply and demand, ensuring the domain has appropriate resources, skills, capabilities, and culture to deliver outstanding service. Supporting the Projects & Programmes team, from both a commercial and development perspective, to ensure that all change is delivered in a timely and cost efficient way, aligned to ongoing operations and the future domain strategy.
- Domain enablement - Ensure effective management of both operations and delivery. Implement effective engagement processes, supporting toolsets, and defined metrics to track success. Ensure compliance with key audit, risk, and security policies and procedures throughout the domain.
- Domain Operations & Application Maintenance - Support strong operational performance through effective support processes. Engage with the Service Managers to enable continuous improvement, following the "Keep the Lights On" investment plan to address obsolescence and other technical risks. Handle domain issues, risks, audit and compliance obligations, and ensure remediation and/or mitigation plans are in place and delivered.
- Highly experienced in the delivery of large scale technology transformations and complex programmes of change alongside operational support accountabilities.
- Demonstrable experience in the full software development lifecycle, platform engineering and project delivery, including selection of the appropriate methodology to deliver successfully through.
- Solid understanding of operating mission infrastructure.
- Experience of agile delivery practices using different methodologies, e.g. Scrum.
- Excellent IT, commercial, contract, partner management knowledge and experience.
- Adept at balancing supply (resource capacity) against demand of varying sizes - service support, large scale investment projects, and small change requests.
- Previous experience in a senior technical leadership position, including shaping of, and delivery against, a strategic plan.
- Direct experience of IT budgetary and financial management.
- Strong customer focus and an excellent ability to forge customer relationships, understand requirements and expectations, and translate these into technical outcomes with defined acceptance criteria.
- Adept at communications, from senior director level briefings through to domain-wide engagement events.
- Previous experience in building and leading large development teams to drive optimum performance.
- Experience of leading strategic negotiations to successful outcomes.
- Awareness of relevant industry technologies to ensure a strategic vision and direction is maintained within the domain, applying appropriate processes, technologies and resources to protect and improve domain solutions.
- Experienced in handling risk, compliance, audit and security obligations, including disaster recovery and business continuity procedures.
We anonymise applications so hiring managers will not be able to see your personal information such as name and address when reviewing your submission, including your CV. Please fully complete work history and the application form questions as requested because incomplete submissions may not be reviewed.
- Professionally qualified in IT management or with equivalent industry experience.
- Positive leadership, employee engagement and motivation; understanding of cultural change and how to guide and empower a team through change is crucial.
- Significant commercial experience and/or relevant level qualification in vendor management/supply chain management.
- Deep technical understanding of chosen domain gained through delivery of solutions in this space.
- Knowledge of ITIL and other industry wide initiatives that promote quality and process improvement.
- Demonstrable skills in aligning IT with organisational drivers.
- Experience of collaborating with third parties and outsourced services.
- General knowledge of IT Security.
- Good understanding of the mission of the Bank of England and the part Technology plays.
The closing date for applications is 10th August 2021.
Please apply online, ensuring that you answer the application questions, complete the work history and submit your CV. This role is available as a permanent position and the salary range for this vacancy is £72,400 - £90000, dependent on relevant skills and experience. However, for exceptional candidates we may have some flexiblity on salary. The total package also includes:
A non-contributory, career average pension giving you a guaranteed retirement benefit of 1/95th of your annual salary for every year worked. There is the option to increase your pension (to 1/50th) or decrease (to 1/120th) in exchange for salary through our flexible benefits programme each year.
A discretionary performance award based on a current award pool.
A 7% benefits allowance with the option to take as salary or purchase a wide range of flexible benefits.
25 days annual leave with option to buy up to 13 additional days through flexible benefits.
Private medical insurance and income protection.
As a unique institution, we have a reward package which sets us apart from other organisations. It includes a competitive salary, but also a much wider offering, including a defined benefit pension and comprehensive flexible benefits. We also offer a working environment which fully supports individuals through flexible working and wellbeing initiatives. We continue to build an inclusive culture where everyone can be their whole selves and produce their best work. Our focus on inclusion is intended to build greater diversity in order to reflect the society we serve and be an employer of choice.