The Bank of England is the UK's central bank. Our mission is to deliver monetary and financial stability for the British people. The Bank of England is a diverse organisation. Each of its 4,000 people are committed to public service and dedicated to promoting the good of the people of the United Kingdom by maintaining monetary and financial stability.
Work for an organisation steeped in history with a front row seat for the digitalisation of the financial sector, and the rise of rise of fintech and regtech. A core organisational strength, with our people at our centre, Technology enables the Bank of England to deliver its mission by providing a hugely diverse set of technical solutions and platforms. From supporting critical systems which underpin the UK economy, to evolving data analytics, reinventing our online presence, and introducing a fully digital workplace. Be part of a team that's constantly evolving, just like our industry.
We take pride in our people, with backgrounds and experiences as diverse as the solutions they provide. You'll enjoy flexible working opportunities, a strong sense of community and well-being, and a collective mission to promote the good of the people of the UK. All of which add up to make the Bank a hugely rewarding place to work. Department Overview
Within Architecture, Analysis and Consultancy you will be working with people who are passionate about the setting the direction for strategic change. Working in a creative team as a trusted partner across the organisation, you will focus on the future of technology within the organisation.
You will collaborate closely with colleagues across Technology and throughout the Bank to help understand the organisation's needs and processes, define requirements or develop enterprise and solution architecture.
Our specialist teams aim to provide a world-class service. You'll be aligned to industry best-practice and encouraged to develop your skills both internally and externally, through networking, training and formal qualifications. Job Description
We have a permanent opportunity for a Solution Architect ,reporting into a Lead Architect within the Bank's Technology Architecture team. The Technology Architecture team is responsible for developing and maintaining an enterprise architecture practise that supports the Technology directorate and the wider Bank in achieving its strategic objectives. As a senior member of the team, you will be responsible for:
Developing architectural artefacts that support the Technology Architecture team, including baseline and target architectures, developing architecture building blocks, technical reference models and design patterns.
Contributing to the development and maintenance of the architecture repository.
Ensuring artefacts are governed and maintained.
Taking on a leading role on business and IT programmes and projects, understanding requirements and developing solutions that deliver against requirements in alignment with strategy and the delivery framework.
Production of design artefacts (level 0, level 1), ensuring approval through relevant governance forums.
Strategies and Roadmaps
A Single Point of Contact (SPOC) for a domain within the Enterprise Architecture with a focus on developing the associated architecture and application treatment plans.
Translating the business strategic plans and requirements into supporting enterprise-wide technology strategies.
Understanding the technology estate, the strategic direction, and developing supporting roadmaps with a focus on re-use, rationalisation, simplification and decommissioning.
Developing and maintaining a stakeholder map that covers all deliverables, ensuring engagement and buy in for all architectural outputs.
Providing measures to evidence stakeholder management effectiveness.
Being a technology ambassador, representing architecture and Technology at governance forums, and being an advocate for the solutions, strategies and roadmaps produced by the team.
Identifying and driving technology innovation across the organisation. Role Requirements Essential Criteria
- Experience in IT architecture, including application of architecture principles to IT solution design.
- Demonstrated experience and expertise on either data driven solutions or financial services/payments system solutions.
- Understanding of cloud based services and their exploitation relating to data for IT Solutions.
- Proven track record of defining, implementing and driving technical change through innovation, architectural evolution, simplification, and capability exploitation.
- Excellent communication skills, including articulating solutions for senior stakeholders and presenting designs to governance forums.
- Stakeholder management experience and awareness of stakeholder expectations.
- Strategic thinking, including the ability to research and provide summarised results and recommendations.
- Good general knowledge of IT and technology solutions.
- Working knowledge of quality standards, legislation and best practice.
- Ability to adapt and prioritise.
- Ability to work under pressure and meet deadlines.
- Ability to think ahead and anticipate problems, issues and solutions.
- Self-managing, self-motivated.
We anonymise applications so hiring managers will not be able to see your personal information such as name and address when reviewing your submission, including your CV. Please complete work history and the application form questions as requested because incomplete submissions may not be reviewed. This role is available as a permanent position and the sal ary range for this vacancy is £59,400 - £76,140, dependent on relevant skills and experience. However, for exceptional candidates we may have some flexiblity on salary. The total package also includes:
- Experience of supporting architectural design and governance within agile delivery models
- Working with external partners on large scale technology delivery programmes
- Experience working within an architectural framework (e.g. TOGAF, Zachman).
- Enterprise Architecture Skills: - technical reference model development, building block design, applications and role design, systems integration, etc.
- Broader expertise of technologies and applications outside of BI e.g. Integration, ERP, CRM, Online.
- Experience of working in a Large Enterprise or FTSE 100 organisation.
- A non-contributory, career average pension giving you a guaranteed retirement benefit of 1/95th of your annual salary for every year worked. There is the option to increase your pension (to 1/50th) or decrease (to 1/120th) in exchange for salary through our flexible benefits programme each year.
- A discretionary performance award based on a current award pool.
- A 7% benefits allowance with the option to take as salary or purchase a wide range of flexible benefits.
- 25 days annual leave with option to buy up to 13 additional days through flexible benefits.
- Private medical insurance and income protection.
As a unique institution, we have a reward package which sets us apart from other organisations. It includes a competitive salary, but also a much wider offering, including a defined benefit pension and comprehensive flexible benefits. We also offer a working environment which fully supports individuals through flexible working and wellbeing initiatives.
We continue to build an inclusive culture where everyone can be their whole selves and produce their best work. Our focus on inclusion is intended to build greater diversity in order to reflect the society we serve and be an employer of choice.
The closing date for applications is Sunday 8th August 2021.