At Atkins we advise our clients how to adapt to the fast-rising tide of digital disruption and realise the desired benefits from their transformational change programmes.
Our consulting services are provided across the entire project lifecycle to our clients across sectors as diverse as aviation, defence, security, local and central government. We also work alongside our colleagues in the other parts of the Atkins business world-wide.
Within Atkins PMO Services and Solutions (PMO SS) Practice, we are seeking to grow significantly, reflecting our strong brand and demand for our PMO Services from our clients and from other parts of the organisation and have opportunities in our Cheltenham and Bristol offices for Project Controllers to join our internal Project Controls team to support Atkins Project Managers.
The Atkins Project Controls team offers the opportunity to support projects from start to finish with a primary focus on supporting the financial aspects of project management. Your main area of focus will be updating cost trackers, managing time and expense bookings, preparing invoices, and contributing to the weekly and monthly project financial reporting. As you gain experience your role will be expanded to include monitoring and reporting on risk, controlling contract changes, interacting with stakeholders, coordinating with suppliers, project planning, resourcing, and general business support.
In this role, you will encounter a variety of technical, managerial and people challenges, whilst taking advantage of the support and development opportunities provided. This is an excellent opportunity to develop skills, knowledge and attributes that fit firmly within the project management career pathway.
Atkins set high standards of integrity and ethics for our people. When joining Atkins, you benefit from a working environment that prioritises integrity and we also expect everyone who joins us to display these characteristics.
Technical Delivery –
A working knowledge and demonstrable experience in all the following areas:
- Accounting or complex project financial controls and management.
- Intermediate to Advanced level MS Excel skills.
- Attention to detail; working to a high level of accuracy.
- Reviewing data and information to identify key points and actions required.
- Problem solving and analytical skills – you identify potential problems and propose a range of solutions, recognising the pros and cons of implementing each.
- Identifying the need for and leading on process improvements.
- Commercial understanding – you understand typical terms and conditions of contracts that affect financial outcomes.
- Management information/ reporting.
- Procurement knowledge would be advantageous but not essential – you have a good working knowledge of running competitions.
- Experience using financial or project reporting tools and/ or working in a project delivery environment is desirable but not essential.
Colleague and Client Interaction –
- Building trusting relationships with colleagues at all levels in a business environment
- Leading juniors through delegating tasks, guiding, mentoring and coaching.
- Understanding your client’s business context and how this affects your work.
- Engaging and building trusting relationships with clients and/or suppliers and providing financial information as required.
Practice and Business Development –
- Leading process improvements.
- Sharing skills and knowledge with colleagues.
- Contributing to the sales of consulting work through the financial aspects of bid development.
- Engaging and supporting the practice and market within Atkins.
- Awareness of commercial drivers and implications, commercially astute.
Additionally, you will display the following characteristics:
- Teamwork – Strong people skills and approachability working collaboratively with others and proactively providing support where required. Whilst also confident working independently, using own initiative, and managing own workload.
- Communication –Concise verbal and written communication skills and effective questioning/listening skills.
- Flexibility – Supportive of change and the ability to adapt approach to individual situations and remain calm under pressure.
- Customer Focus – Delivers a high level of customer service to external and internal customers.
- Initiative – Ability to spot problems and solve them and to identify and lead on process improvements.
- Organised – Ability to break down work into key tasks and activities and manage time well.
- Ethics and integrity – A collaborative team-player who has a positive influence on others and with high behavioural standards and business ethics.
- Collegiate – Keen to learn and develop own skills, manage own workload effectively as well as supporting colleagues across the PMO Services and Solutions Practice and wider business.
Qualifications we expect:
- Project Management qualifications (for example APM) or qualifications in finance/project accounting, would be advantageous but not essential.
- Intermediate to advanced Excel formal training or equivalent knowledge.
- Proficient in Microsoft Office products such as Word and PowerPoint or equivalent.
Why work for Atkins?
People join us because they share a desire to be at the forefront of the ADS&T Business Unit and deliver outstanding projects. We empower our people to be the professional individuals they want to be, working on projects they feel proud of, making a difference to the world they live in and the legacy they leave behind.
We develop individuals through a portfolio of training and development courses designed to help you make the best of your abilities and talents. We encourage participation in all forms of training and have an active programme of in-house as well as external training for all our staff.
Meeting your needs:
When you start with us, you'll enjoy "Total Reward", a package that can be tailored to your lifestyle, career and personal needs. From flexible holidays to life assurance, health & wellbeing benefits, and career planning for the senior stage of your career.
Making sure you're supported is important to us. So, if you identify as having a disability, tell us ahead of your interview. And let's talk about any adjustments you might need.
Read more about 'Total Reward'.
More about us:
Atkins, a member of the SNC-Lavalin Group, is a leading global consultancy with over 80 years of design and engineering expertise. With us, you'll be surrounded by the skills, knowledge and support to help you succeed. Together, we can deliver projects which have a positive, sustainable impact on the world.
Atkins, ranked as one of LinkedIn’s Top 25 Companies, where UK professionals want to work and stay once they join. We're also a Silver Rating holder in the Aerospace & Defence sector, as per the Financial Times rating of the UK’s leading management consultants.
Check out some of our recent, most exciting projects.
Atkins is committed to developing its people both personally and professionally. Our colleagues have the advantage of access to a high ranging training portfolio and development activities designed to help make the best of individual’s abilities and talents. We also actively support staff in achieving corporate membership of relevant institutions.
Atkins recognise that there are many well qualified people who are looking to further their career, but who cannot commit to full time employment.
We support flexible working arrangements and are interested to discuss how we can accommodate individual requirements.
Diversity & Inclusion:
ATKINS, part of the SNC Lavalin Group, is committed to having a diverse and inclusive workforce. As an Equal Opportunities Employer, we value applications from all backgrounds, cultures and ability.
This role may require security clearance and offers of employment will be dependent on obtaining the relevant level of clearance. If this is necessary, it will be discussed with you at interview. If applying to this role please do not make reference to (in conversation) or include in your application or CV, details of any current or previously held security clearance.