Leonardo has a fantastic opportunity for a Lead Systems Engineer working from our modern and purpose-built Luton (Capability Green) site. The Lead Systems Engineer will need to be a talented and highly experienced systems engineer, with a strong background in architectural design through the application of a variety of MBSE tools and techniques. Significant experience across all lifecycle stages within large and complex (ideally airborne sensor) programmes will also be required.
The Lead Systems Engineer will lead Leonardo's input into cross-industry MBSE forums, working collaboratively with Leonardo's partners, helping to bring about a transformation in the UK's defence engineering approach.
The successful applicant will lead and coordinate inputs across multiple lines of business, advising the Systems teams on their engineering approach to ensure commonality and effective collaboration.
The role will require strong technical and people management skills, with an ability to influence and build consensus across a wide range of stakeholders.
This Lead Systems Engineer role will sit within the Major Air Programmes business group, and will focus on supporting the conceptual system designs for a highly integrated multispectral avionic sensor suite. The system will provide next-generation capabilities (e.g. detection, identification, countermeasure, and communication) to provide unrivalled mission effectiveness and platform survivability.
What you will do
- Lead Leonardo's input into the Tempest cross-industry MBSE forums at any of the Tempest Partner sites in the UK. This will involve representing Leonardo's current and evolving MBSE policies, procedures, and guidance, as well as working with the MBSE Capability Lead (UK) to translate any cross industry agreements, and/or ontologies into recommended best practice policies, processes, or guidelines to be used by the MBSE and Systems Engineering community within Leonardo Electronics Division UK.
- Mentor and Guide, via the use of best practice, the internal architecture development across multiple lines of business. Utilising your expertise at both a strategic and tactical level you will build consensus that ensures alignment in engineering approaches to promote best practice, commonality and re-use.
- Work with the MBSE Capability Lead (UK) to harmonise MBSE approaches and toolsets across the whole of the Leonardo business. By feeding in Tempest Programme requirements and approaches and working collaboratively with the MBSE Capability Lead (UK) you will play a pivotal role in harmonising the Leonardo MSBE strategy.
- Leverage your contacts externally and internally to provide toolset guidance and expertise to the Tempest programme.
- Work with the MBSE Capability Lead (UK) to develop a road-map to expand the use of MBSE across the whole Systems Engineering lifecycle processes and provide seamless integration with other Engineering functions and toolsets
- Initiate and develop a Leonardo Product MBSE library of System models to enable future rapid development of platform sensor capability.
What we are looking for
You really must have:
- Ability to communicate intent & practical application of MBSE architectural design approaches for the development of complex systems.
- Experience of using/applying system architecture modelling frameworks & languages.
- Experience of elaborating abstract concepts in an MBSE environment.
- Ability to breakdown conceptual models into individual sub-system & component models.
- Experience of incorporating & managing system requirements, requirement traceability & facilitating left-shift requirements verification within a MBSE environment.
- High proficiency in multi-level requirements management methods & toolsets.
- Self-motivated with a strong aptitude for problem-solving & decision-making within projects involving design complexity & uncertainty.
- Experience of int./ext. stakeholder management at varying levels of seniority.
- Understanding of performance and operational capabilities for airborne sensor systems.
It would be nice if you had:
- Knowledge of processes / performance / operational capabilities for airborne electronic sensor / effector systems (e.g. DAS, Radar, Comms).
- Understanding of critical enabling technologies for a multirole future combat air system.
- MOOD, Cameo System Modeller, Rhapsody, MATLAB.
- The full Systems Engineering Lifecycle.
- ISO15288-2015 Technical Processes.
- Experience in the use of MBSE to support the Systems Engineering lifecycle beyond the ISO15288 System Analysis process.