Join us and be part of a fast-paced team working together to fight serious and organised crime across the UK. If you like a challenge and enjoy a varied workday, you’ll feel at home here. At the NCA we put our people first, providing opportunities for you to grow and succeed as individuals and working together as part of a team. Love learning? Great, we’re looking for self-starters who we can support through our professional communities and training to further your knowledge and development. We’re growing and evolving, and we need people like you to help us achieve our ambition of putting data exploitation at the heart of our fight against serious and organised crime.
Data Engineers develop data products of varying complexity and provenance that support data-driven operational activities across the NCA.
The NCA’s mission is to protect the public and to lead the UK’s fight against serious and organised crime (SOC). By joining us in NDEC (National Data Exploitation Capability), you are not only joining a key component of the NCA’s Operations - Intelligence Command, but are also joining part of the UK’s national security capabilities focused on tackling the greatest threats to the UK population and interests through the use of data exploitation and data science. This is an area that has grown significantly in recent years and will continue to grow as we adapt and respond to the ever-increasing expansion of technology and data in our personal and commercial lives.
NDEC are, and will be, at the heart of this response and you will be joining a team of dedicated and diverse professionals who are all committed to making NDEC and the NCA a success.
What are we looking for?
• Knowledge of efficient and effective ways of using data engineering to tackle business and organisational challenges.
• Skills in applying data engineering techniques to present challenges and an ability to communicate through data visualisation techniques and other methods.
• Strong stakeholder management and consultative skills.
• Experience managing, coaching and mentoring technical team members and/or a professional interest in developing management skills.
• An understanding of ethical considerations of potential data engineering approaches, and the legislation applicable in this area.
What will I be doing?
• Data Management: Gather data from a variety of sources and manage large datasets in accordance with best practice.
• Technical Requirements Gathering: Identify and manage data requirements to create a usable data product for departmental and wider NCA teams.
• Data Handling: Design and optimise the implementation of data flows to connect operational systems, data services and transformation for analytics and Business Intelligence systems.
• Data Manipulation: Manipulate large datasets to solve analytical challenges and provide support to intelligence-led enforcement activity.
• Solution Management: Develop scientifically robust and innovative solutions to technical challenges.
• Team Management: Line manage, support and mentor technical members of staff.
• Strategic Thinking: Contribute to the strategic view of data engineering strategies, products and components to inform departmental decision-making.
• Quality Assurance: Ensure the quality, secure handling and dissemination of data and analytical products, whilst ensuring confidentiality and sensitivity in line with NCA policy and enterprise governance standards.
• Coaching: Provide guidance and support to the technical team members, helping them scope solutions and pursue new ways of working with data and tools.
• Communication: Build working relationships with colleagues across the NCA’s technical community to develop skills and cross-functional working.
***All NCA officers must hold SC Enhanced upon entry as a minimum. To meet the National Security Vetting requirements for this role you will need to have resided in the UK for a minimum of 3 out of the past 5 years. For more information please see the Candidate information Pack***
We'll assess you against these behaviours during the selection process:
- Changing and Improving
We'll assess you against these technical skills during the selection process:
- Experience of cleansing, preparing and formatting complex data sets.
- Experience of designing scalable, future-proof data services to meet user needs.
- Experience of creating or developing data modelling to support analytical functions within the business
- Experience of maintaining a gold standard ETL pipeline.
Successful candidates must meet the security requirements before they can be appointed. The level of security needed is security check.
People working with government assets must complete basic personnel security standard checks.
Successful candidates will be expected to have a medical.