TRACER is searching for senior analysts to join the OTAC team.
This role can be based from Warrington, Bristol or Central London
Threat and Risk Assessment, Capability Exploration and Research (TRACER) is a collaborative business function being established and operated through the National Crime Agency (NCA). TRACER
operates in partnership with the Communications Capabilities Unit (CCU), National Technical Assistance Centre (NTAC) and the National Communications Data Services (NCDS). The Accelerated
Capabilities Environment (ACE) and the Internet Data Unit (iDU) are key delivery partners.
At full operating capability, TRACER will provide the opportunity and threat management for digital communications associated with investigations using digital means and will develop qualified
propositions detailing how the community could reduce the risk associated with those identified threats. The current scope of this threat and opportunities management is IPA related covering
Communications Data (CD), Targeted Interception (TI) and Targeted Equipment Interference (TEI).
This role will involve managing a team of analysts (and other OTAC team members) co-ordinating their work and providing technical and professional advice as required. You will need to work collaboratively
with a range of people across LEA, UKIC, Academia and Industry building a strong stakeholder network. You will be responsible for reviewing and assessing the analytical outputs of your team and
managing the delivery & communication of these to ensure they reach the required recipients in a secure and appropriate way.
You will work closely with the OTAC Release Authority to ensure TRACER information handling protocols are appropriate and support your manager in undertaking briefings and presentations, both internally and externally. With a genuine interest in digital communications you will have excellent communication skills and strong leadership qualities. You will have an ability to develop relationships with a variety of stakeholders, can work in a fast moving, agile environment and handle ambiguity and uncertainty. You will need to be highly organised yet adaptable and be self-motivated as well as having the ability to motivate your team. The confidence to present to a wide range of people is key as is the ability to provide constructive feedback in a professional manner.
To be considered, you will need to successfully complete a SC Enhanced clearance before commencing the role with the ability to obtain a DV STRAP clearance within the first 12 months in post.
***All NCA officers must hold SC Enhanced upon entry as a minimum. To meet the National Security Vetting requirements for this role you will need to have resided in the UK for a minimum of 3 out of the past 5 years. For more information please see the Candidate information Pack***
• Research, evaluate and analyse digital intelligence and information gathered from a range of sources including open source, academia, industry and operations
• Manage and co-ordinate the work of your analysts (and other OTAC team members) and provide technical and professional advice and guidance as required
• Review and assess the analytical outputs of your team to ensure their assessments are well supported, robust and reflect the high professional standards of TRACER
• Lead, innovate and co-ordinate OTAC activities which could include horizon scanning, intelligence collection, running data capture workshops, event management and producing updates for the TRACER DD
• Build a network of stakeholders, interested parties and experts and proactively manage these relationships
• Manage the communication and delivery of analytical outputs including presentations and verbal or written briefings
• Deliver briefings and presentations to the wider TRACER team, NCA & law enforcement, Home Office & wider government on the threat picture
• Work closely with the TRACER Release Authority to ensure that information is handled sensitively and securely and that your team are fully aware of and adhering to all the information handling protocols
• Maintain an awareness of developments and good practice in analysis
• Manage and develop your team to ensure they receive the right training and support their continued personal development
• Encourage and support innovation in the introduction and application of analytical tools and techniques
• Seek ways to enhance your understanding of the wider law enforcement community, UKIC, digital landscape and legal frameworks within which they operate
• Constantly look at ways to improve and develop the OTAC ways of working
• Actively and positively promote the work of TRACER and the impact it is having on the wider law enforcement community
• Provide support to colleagues within OTAC and the wider TRACER team and deputise for your G3 as required
The following qualifications/skills are essential to the role and proof will be required at interview:
• Government Intelligence Analysis Training (GIAT) National Intelligence Analyst Training (NIAT) Defence Intelligence Analysis Module (DIAM) or other recognised analytical training or equivalent experience
Please ensure the dates of any accreditations you are relying on, are entered on to the CV.
Should you progress to the assessment stage of the process, you will be required to provide a copy of the original certificate.
Failure to provide evidence at interview may result in your application not progressing to the next stage.
We'll assess you against these behaviours during the selection process:
- Working Together
We'll assess you against these technical skills during the selection process:
- Strong understanding and experience of analysis and development of hypotheses to make recommendations and support decision making
- Good understanding of, and interest in, digital technologies
- Good understanding and experience of researching and gathering information from a wide range of sources
- Leading design and delivery of briefings of complex material to senior stakeholders
Successful candidates must meet the security requirements before they can be appointed. The level of security needed is Security Check.
People working with government assets must complete Basic Personnel Security Standard checks.
Successful candidates will be expected to have a medical.