The world of payments is changing rapidly. New innovative technologies are being developed to meet the changing needs but these can give rise to new threats to users of the payments system, and to the stability of that system as a whole. This means that we need ever stronger protections and more resilient infrastructure.
The Real-Time Gross Settlement (RTGS) service lies at the heart of UK payments. In total, the RTGS service settles around £685bn of payments each working day, close to a third of the UK's annual GDP. The RTGS infrastructure is over 20 years old and, despite its excellent operational record, it needs to be modernised and developed to meet the needs of today and the future, balancing the safeguarding of stability whilst enabling innovation. With this in mind, the RTGS Renewal Programme has been established to develop the next generation of the Bank of England's Real-Time Gross Settlement (RTGS) system.
After defining the Programme scope, with input from the payments industry, we ran a competitive procurement process under the Official Journal of the European Union to appoint a Technology Delivery Partner. In August 2020, the Programme appointed Accenture as the Technology Delivery Partner to work with the Bank on the design and build of the core settlement engine. The Programme has since completed mobilisation and is progressing through the delivery phase using an Agile Programme Management framework. The focus has moved from designing the renewed RTGS service to building it using the latest technology. Job Description
The RTGS Renewal Programme requires a wide range of organisations to make changes to their own technology and processes. This will be critical to ensure firms are ready to send and receive CHAPS payments. A wide range of stakeholders will be impacted by this change, primarily, but not exclusively the 34 firms that are direct members of the CHAPS payments system.
We are recruiting three Communication Business Partners to strengthen our existing team. Two focusing on external communications, and one focusing on internal communications. As a Communications Business Partner you will be responsible for planning and delivery of all communication and engagement activities for the RTGS Renewal Programme. You will also set out best practice guidelines for how to communicate and engage with others effectively. Your role will include keeping the Programme, Bank and external stakeholders up to date with the latest developments and collaborating across the Programme to deliver on our strategic objectives.
You will be accountable for a range of activities, including:
Role Requirements Minimum Criteria
- Working with members of the Programme team to deliver the communication approach.
- Engaging with areas of the Bank or external stakeholders that are most impacted by the Programme.
- Representing the Programme within the wider Bank and externally.
- Supporting Programme team members in using best practice communication tools, methods and processes.
- Advocating and promoting readiness, people and culture changes, or assisting with any issues.
The role leads on stakeholder engagement and strategic communications, with limited supervision. You will have excellent analytical skills, be a team player, expert collaborator and a recognised point of contact within the programme and the wider Bank. Other expected attributes include:
- Excellent judgement and problem solving skills to regularly analyse complex material and develop this into communications for a wide ranging audience.
- Confident advising senior individuals on area of expertise, with good upward management.
- Ability to supervise projects and/or processes within own area or field of expertise and have accountability for own workload.
- A broad knowledge of financial services would be desirable
- Experience of shaping and delivering excellent internal and external communications, whether verbal or written. You will develop briefing notes, speeches and presentation slides to tight deadlines and for a range of audiences.
- Ability to build a collaborative culture across a varied team of professionals. Resilient and self-confident to drive through change and build confidence among stakeholders.
- Strong ability to identify and influence stakeholders at all levels and constructively challenge whilst maintaining good working relationships.
- The ability to develop strong working relationships with wide range of people quickly.
- The ability to create compelling and engaging campaigns.
- Strong attention to detail: you will be representing the Programme to a wide internal audience and it is important to convey concise and accurate messages about the Programme.
- Excellent planning skills: you will be required to plan and manage the delivery of the internal communication approach. This needs forward planning and excellent organisation skills.
- Flexibility to handle a range of demands, either working alone or as part of a team. Strong collaborative working style, as the role involves liaising with a wide range of internal and external contacts.
- You will also demonstrate awareness of sensitive/delicate situations and be comfortable with ambiguity.
- Experience of working in an agile environment .
- Experience of working in banking and payments.
- Previous experience in delivering business change is desirable.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- The ability to think creatively.
This role offers a base salary of up to £36,450 (subject to experience and skillset). The total package also includes:
We anonymise applications so hiring managers will not be able to see your personal information such as name and address when reviewing your submission, including your CV. Please fully complete the application form questions as requested because incomplete submissions may not be reviewed. We continue to build an inclusive culture where everyone can be their whole selves and produce their best work. Our focus on inclusion is intended to build greater diversity in order to reflect the society we serve and be an employer of choice.
- A non-contributory, career average pension giving you a guaranteed retirement benefit of 1/95th of your annual salary for every year worked. There is the option to increase your pension (to 1/50th) or decrease (to 1/120th) in exchange for salary through our flexible benefits programme each year.
- A 7% benefits allowance with the option to take as salary or purchase a wide range of flexible benefits.
- 25 days annual leave with option to buy up to 13 additional days through flexible benefits.
- Private medical insurance and income protection insurance.
The closing date for applications is 16th May 2021.
Please apply online, ensuring that you answer the application questions and submit your CV.