Join our organisation, where we have a huge variety of projects on-the-go at any one time. So when you start this role with us, it could take your career wherever your interests lie. You'll find everyone here is willing to pitch in and help because we all want you to succeed, and we're ready to help you grow.
When it comes to living your life, we want you to get the most out of it. So talk to us about all our flexible and remote working policies that can support your personal priorities. Also, ask us about some of our recent pledges for Women's Equality, as well as being a 'Disability Confident' and 'Inclusive Employer’.
As a Junior Systems Engineer in Aerospace, Defence, Security and Technology (ADS&T) you'll have all the support you need to succeed. Working in a team that uses Systems thinking, you'll analyse, assess and develop ways to mitigate safety, environmental and cyber threats. And with the huge variety of projects we have on the go – from local schemes to high profile programmes – you'll always have something challenging to get involved in.
Our client base is large and varied and our work is stimulating, challenging and rewarding. If you are ready to take on a challenge, responsibility and gain valuable professional experience in this complex changing world then we want to hear from you.
Our Systems Thinkers and Engineers work on tasks ranging from small consultancy projects to large multi-disciplinary programmes and may need to balance their time across concurrent projects. Responsibilities typically include:
- Stakeholder management across our clients and partners;
- Problem discovery and definition;
- The development of solutions to complex problems in balance with performance, cost, time and risk and using our knowledge and experience in the state-of-the-art and emerging technologies;
- The planning and implementation of solutions;
- Communicating complex concepts in a compelling and straightforward way;
- Influencing stakeholders and non-technical team members;
- Influencing the direction of Systems Engineering and introducing Systems Thinking to new industries.
What you can bring?
- Degree qualified, or equivalent depth of experience. We welcome applications from candidates who can demonstrate that their degree and experience has equipped them for creative and Systems Thinking;
- Strong interpersonal skills and the ability to build trusted relationships;
- Ability to tailor the presentation of ideas to non-technical and senior stakeholders;
- Able to work alone or as part of a team;
- Experience and skill with the MS Office toolset;
- Willingness to acquire knowledge on how to apply Systems Thinking, and Systems Engineering tools and techniques;
- Effective and creative written and oral communication skills.
- Degree in a STEM subject may be an advantage
If you like:
- Making a difference that benefits the world around you;
- Working with people in multi-disciplinary teams to identify problems and solutions;
- Using big-picture and holistic thinking to identify interactions between people, technology and the world;
- Creative thinking and finding innovative ways to visualise complex ideas; and
- Explaining and communicating ideas through storytelling.
If you think that:
- The issues and concerns of society and industry cannot be addressed by technology alone: and that
- Technology is part of the solution, including application of emerging technologies such as cyber, Artificial Intelligence (AI), Big-data, Blockchain, Virtual Reality, autonomous vehicles, 3-D printing and 5G;
- Solutions need to be designed to account for human behaviour, future scientific discovery and technology development, the environment and climate change, and political and social pressures.
What you can gain?
- The skills and tools necessary to tackle tomorrow’s problems today;
- The opportunity to become a Systems Thinker and Engineer for SNC Lavalin (Atkins);
- A career path to becoming a Systems Thinker and Engineer, including opportunities:
- For Mentoring;
- To study for NVQ Level 7 Apprenticeship (Master’s degree equivalent) in Systems Engineering;
- To work towards certification and chartership qualifications, (with INCOSE for example);
- The opportunity to work with a range of clients across the Defence, Energy, Transport, Aerospace and Security sectors; and
- The opportunity to be involved in a diverse range of roles throughout your career with us
Why work for Atkins?
"Our ADS&T teams provide independent and objective advice in mission-critical sectors. Join us to make a direct difference in helping our country to achieve its security and defence goals. From advisory, conceptual design and acquisition, through transformation, manufacture, certification and in-service support. You'll be working alongside some of the top people in the industry.
We value diversity and believe that everyone deserves to thrive, without exception. So, you'll be part of a culture that wants to see more women in senior roles. We have signed the MoD's "Women in Defence" and "Women in Aviation and Aerospace" charters. These pledges include providing opportunities for women to succeed at all levels. We're also committed to being a Military friendly employer and have been recognised with the Ministry of Defence's (MoD) Gold Employer Recognition Award. "
Meeting your needs
"To help you get the most out of life in and outside of work, we offer employees "Total Reward." It's a package that can be tailored to your changing lifestyle, career and personal needs. You'll enjoy benefits such as partner discounts, leadership training, professional, accreditations, and career planning for any stage of your career.
Making sure you're supported is important to us. So if you identify as having a disability, tell us ahead of your interview. And let's talk through any adjustments you might need."
More about us
Atkins, a member of the SNC-Lavalin Group, is a leading global consultancy with over 80 years of design and engineering expertise. With us, you'll be surrounded by the skills, knowledge and support to help you succeed. Together, we can deliver projects which have a positive, sustainable impact on the world.
Atkins is committed to developing its people both personally and professionally. Our colleagues have the advantage of access to a high ranging training portfolio and development activities designed to help make the best of individual’s abilities and talents. We also actively support staff in achieving corporate membership of relevant institutions.
We know that different people have different priorities, which is why we're here to support you. Flexible and remote working is a central part of our culture. So, talk to us about what's ideal for you – from reduced weeks to buying more leave over school holidays. And if you're returning from a career break, ask us how we can help you transition back into work with us.
Diversity & inclusion
ATKINS, part of the SNC Lavalin Group, is committed to having a diverse and inclusive workforce. As an Equal Opportunities Employer, we value applications from all backgrounds, cultures and ability.
This role may require security clearance and offers of employment will be dependent on obtaining the relevant level of clearance. If this is necessary, it will be discussed with you at interview.
If applying to this role please do not make reference to (in conversation) or include in your application or CV, details of any current or previously held security clearance.