Senior Control & Instrumentation Engineer - Defence & Nuclear
Are you ready to take up a vital role in shaping some of our exciting projects? How about joining our talented team, where everyone has a voice, and together we face our clients' problems head-on. It's a diverse and inclusive work environment where world-class talent knows no distinctions.
We know that different people have different priorities, which is why we're here to support you. Flexible and remote working is a central part of our culture. So, talk to us about what's ideal for you – from reduced weeks to buying more leave over school holidays. And if you're returning from a career break, ask us how we can help you transition back into work with us.
Atkins has a thriving safety-critical software team providing consultancy and engineering services to a range of clients in industries such as Nuclear Power, Defence, Rail and Aerospace. Due to strong growth, particularly in the nuclear sector, we are looking to expand our team. The role is to contribute to the design of Control and Instrumentation systems solutions for Atkins’ clients. The systems are expected to have a significant programmable element and be used in a safety or security critical context.
- Provision of cost-effective engineering design solutions and high-quality customer service
- Ensure successful delivery of high-quality engineering works to time, quality, budget and customer satisfaction.
- Perform end-to-end work related to safety critical C&I systems. This may include FEED, specifications, high level and detailed design, coding, testing, installation and commissioning activities.
- Engage with clients to understand technical needs and develop successful working relationships.
- Verification of peer and junior engineer’s C&I technical documentation.
- Assist with technical input for proposals/tenders.
What you can bring?
- Capable of working on diverse projects under senior supervision.
- Knowledge and experience of a broad range of C&I equipment and its application in both conventional and safety related applications.
- Good knowledge of mechanical and process systems and how to control them.
- Knowledge of safety sector standards including BS EN 61508.
- Preferably educated to Degree level in a relevant engineering of scientific field.
- Experience of working in highly regulated industries (e.g. Nuclear, Rail, Defence).
- A good understanding of the safety lifecycle for C&I safety systems.
- Experience in design, substantiation, verification & validation, safety justification of high integrity software-based protection and/or safety control systems.
- Knowledge of PLC programming and system integration, SCADA configuration and software testing techniques and experience of installation and commissioning of PLC / SCADA systems.
- Working knowledge of electrical systems.
- AutoCAD Electrical experience.
- Chartered engineer status with a relevant professional body (or experience necessary to qualify for such).
Why work for Atkins?
"Our ADS&T teams provide independent and objective advice in mission-critical sectors. Join us to make a direct difference in helping our country to achieve its security and defence goals. From advisory, conceptual design and acquisition, through transformation, manufacture, certification and in-service support. You'll be working alongside some of the top people in the industry.
We value diversity and believe that everyone deserves to thrive, without exception. So, you'll be part of a culture that wants to see more women in senior roles. We have signed the MoD's "Women in Defence" and "Women in Aviation and Aerospace" charters. These pledges include providing opportunities for women to succeed at all levels. We're also committed to being a Military friendly employer and have been recognised with the Ministry of Defence's (MoD) Gold Employer Recognition Award".
Meeting your needs
When you start with us, you'll enjoy "Total Reward," a package that can be tailored to your lifestyle, career and personal needs. From flexible holidays to life assurance, health & wellbeing benefits, and career planning for the senior stage of your career.
Making sure you're supported is important to us. So, if you identify as having a disability, tell us ahead of your interview. And let's talk about any adjustments you might need.
More about us
Atkins, a member of the SNC-Lavalin Group, is a leading global consultancy with over 80 years of design and engineering expertise. With us, you'll be surrounded by the skills, knowledge and support to help you succeed. Together, we can deliver projects which have a positive, sustainable impact on the world.
Atkins, ranked as one of LinkedIn’s Top 25 Companies, where UK professionals want to work and stay once, they join. We're also a Silver Rating holder in the Aerospace & Defence sector, as per the Financial Times rating of the UK’s leading management consultants.
Atkins is committed to developing its people both personally and professionally. Our colleagues have the advantage of access to a high ranging training portfolio and development activities designed to help make the best of individual’s abilities and talents. We also actively support staff in achieving corporate membership of relevant institutions.
We support flexible working and equal opportunities as we believe that diverse teams provide the best mix of interpersonal and technical skills needed to exceed our customers’ expectations.
Diversity & inclusion
ATKINS, part of the SNC Lavalin Group, is committed to having a diverse and inclusive workforce. As an Equal Opportunities Employer, we value applications from all backgrounds, cultures and ability.
This role may require security clearance and offers of employment will be dependent on obtaining the relevant level of clearance. If this is necessary, it will be discussed with you at interview.
If applying to this role please do not make reference to (in conversation) or include in your application or CV, details of any current or previously held security clearance.