Lead Control Design Engineer
Essential Responsibilities :
The Lead Control Software Engineer provides technical leadership for a software project team whilst implementing GE's HVDC control system. In this role you will use your experience and expertise to lead and guide the Controls Software project team in developing and implementing solutions based on standard components.
As the Lead Controls Design Engineer you will report to the Controls Software Design Manager. The successful candidate will be part of a highly motivated and dynamic team of engineers working on the design and delivery of controls software for LCC and VSC HVDC Control Systems. The development of such control systems is technically challenging and involves a variety of engineering disciplines, contribution through teamwork and an innovative approach.
As the Lead Design Controls Engineer you will be expected to design and develop functions across the full delivery process life cycle, with HVDC industry knowledge and experience in similar role(s).
• Lead and coordinate technical discussions within the project, collaborating with other projects as required, to develop the architecture and design of real time control systems for transmission of high voltage DC electricity
• Provide technical leadership and direction, enforce standards of technical reviews and documentation quality, ensure that an appropriate level of technical governance is applied to assure delivered solutions are safe, compliant and reliable
• Understand the key milestones in a project plan, their financial impact and ensuring the technical risks are understood and mitigated in accordance with the plan
• Support the elicitation and management of Controls Software requirements, ensuring that they are feasible, adhere to standard requirements as far as possible and that technical risks are understood
• Drive continual improvement, raising the effectiveness and efficiency of the team through the introduction of tools, methods and process improvements and coordinating with the Continuous Improvement leaders
• Drive a standard product methodology mindset, seek opportunities to re-use solutions, improve quality and reliability whilst reducing the delivery timeline and associated costs
• Support R&D teams to develop existing and new tools
• Promote cross departmental interaction to find and solve problems collaboratively
• Support the tendering process as required, providing technical direction during technical gate reviews and maintaining adherence to standard solutions as far as possible
• Ensure Return of Experience is incorporated into all new and ongoing projects
• Adhere to the delivery & quality processes and guidelines
• Implement the full software life cycle (requirements, design, test specifications, implementation, unit and integration testing)
• Implement the software designs in Matlab/Simulink or C (project dependent)
• Support Integration System Testing and Factory System testing
• Strong experience in design, implementation and commissioning of high voltage DC control systems
• Bachelor's degree in Computer Science or a STEM subject (Science, Technology, Engineering, Mathematics)
• Experience in people leadership and meeting complex project needs
• Ability to understand customer requirements and lead technical discussions with customers
• Experience designing, implementing and commissioning complex real time, safety critical, software systems
• Extensive experience of the software development lifecycle and common methodologies, with awareness of varied architectural styles and design patterns
• Experience in systems engineering principles and requirements management
• Extensive experience of model-based engineering and hardware in the loop testing
• Excellent analytical, problem solving and communication skills, with the ability to communicate at all levels within the organisation.
• Experienced in identifying technical risk using analytical tools such as DFMEA and devising and implementing appropriate mitigation strategies
• Understanding of cyber security concepts, identification of vulnerabilities and strategies to reduce cyber security risk
• Ability to build effective interpersonal relationships across functions and projects
• Experience with multiple programming languages, data modelling methods and target environments
• Proven champion of change management and continuous improvement
• Able to work to deadlines under pressure whilst maintaining the safety, quality and engineering integrity of the solution
• Must be flexible with working hours and willing to travel in order to support projects globally
Desired Characteristics :
• Ability to influence others.
• Communications: Strong oral and written communication skills in English.
• Ethics and Professionalism: Personal commitment to professional standards, recognising obligations to society, the profession and the environment.
• Technical Leadership: understanding of customer need, problem solving, creativity and innovation, relationship management, operational oversight and accountability, engineering instinct.
• Team Dynamics and Facilitation: Ability to be a team player and to facilitate groups interactions.
• Planning: Ability to plan and manage own work.
• Risk and Opportunity Management: Proactively identifies and manages risks, issues and opportunities.
• Knowledge Management: capable of deploying training, coaching and mentoring to customers and colleagues. Proactively records and disseminates return of experience.
Competitive salary applies
Opening date 17/07/2020 - Closing date 14/08/2020
For further information about this role, and to apply, please visit www.ge.com/careers quoting 3496460
Additional Eligibility Qualifications :
Relocation Assistance Provided: No