Principal Systems Engineer-Sensor Fusion & Tracking
Leonardo has a fantastic opportunity for a Principal Systems Engineer on a permanent basis working at our modern and purpose-built Luton (Capability Green) site. The Principal Systems Engineer will need to be a talented and highly experienced systems engineer, familiar with working on large and complex systems within the defence industry, with a mindset towards system-of-system (SoS) design and development.
The Principal Systems Engineer will have extensive experience of applying data fusion algorithms to multi-sensor track and data sets. A strong background in mathematics and/or physics as well as experience in the development of fusion algorithm models will be required to create a system architecture capable of delivering the required functionality. The role inherently requires a strong aptitude for problem solving and an ability to understand complex interdependencies, encompassing various degrees of uncertainty as well as managing requirements and design inputs from multiple stakeholder groups.
This Principal Systems Engineer role is within the Major Air Programmes business group, and will focus on developing conceptual system designs for a highly integrated multispectral avionic sensor suite. The system will provide next-generation Electronic Warfare (EW) capabilities (e.g. detection, identification, countermeasure, and communication) to provide unrivalled mission effectiveness and platform survivability.
What you will get
- Advanced Technology: You will have the ability to contribute to the development of market-leading technology and product development, providing advanced capability and protection to UK platforms.
- EW Expertise: Leonardo has subject-matter experts with extensive and detailed knowledge of the EW domain, technology, performance, and operational capabilities - the learning potential is limitless!
- Continuous Learning: Whether it's EW, engineering lifecycle processes, leadership, or personal development, you'll be supported in your ongoing professional development though training and mentoring.
- Teamwork: You will work alongside like-minded professional engineers in a highly collaborative environment.
- Connections: You will be joining an expansive team of around 7,000 people at six major sites across the UK.
- EW Heritage: We are proud of our rich heritage in EW, with 100 years of pioneering EW development. Today we're providing the latest advances in RF technology and enabling our customers to keep pace with an ever-evolving EW environment.
Key Responsibility Areas
What you will do
- Develop algorithms for data fusion and innovative processing methods.
- Embed fusion algorithms within the system architecture to deliver the required functionality.
- Perform analysis and modelling of multi-sensor data sets to demonstrate the effectiveness of developed fusion algorithms.
- Define the systems analysis approach, working alongside technical specialist teams.
- Work closely with sensor, communication, data, and fusion subject matter experts.
- Conduct dynamic systems modelling and simulation of integrated airborne mission / sensor / communications systems.
- Assess design compliance against user and system requirements, alongside key performance parameters.
- Identify performance improvements and propose candidate solutions, implementation methods, and routes to demonstration of design compliance.
- Creation of technical documentation to support the system design capture / definition.
- Create formal specifications, reports and presentations for delivery to internal and external customers and industry partners.
- Travel within the UK to meet with our customers and industry partners.
Skills, Qualifications & Knowledge Required
You really must have:
- Substantial experience working with track and detection data from RF / EO / IR sensor systems.
- Strong background in modelling data fusion for RF / EO / IR sensor systems and environments.
- Knowledge of association and fusion techniques for heterogeneous and / or homogeneous sensor types.
- High proficiency in the use of mathematical modelling tools such (i.e. MATLAB & Simulink).
- Experience of embedded and / or HDL code generation (from MathWorks products is desirable).
- Ability to cope with a high degree of design complexity and significant levels of uncertainty.
- Strong analytical ability, to support functional and performance trade-off studies.
- Good understanding of design compliance and acceptance criteria relating at varying stages of system maturity.
- Ability to assume ownership for deliverables in accordance with project plans and processes.
- Excellent verbal and written communication / collaboration skills.
- Experience of collaborating with a variety of internal and external stakeholders of varying seniorities.
It would be nice if you had:
- Experience working with configuration management tools (e.g. Azure, Git).
- Knowledge of architecture frameworks (e.g. SysML) tools (e.g. Cameo Systems Modeler / MagicDraw).
- Knowledge of requirements management methods and tools (e.g. DOORS).