Principal Systems Engineer-Software Requirements & Test
Leonardo has a fantastic opportunity for a Principal Systems Engineer on a permanent basis working at our modern and purpose-built Luton (Capability Green) site. The Principal Systems Engineer will need to be a talented and highly experienced systems engineer, familiar with working within an Agile development framework to design and delivery user-centric software systems within the defence industry.
The Principal Systems Engineer will have extensive experience of full lifecycle systems engineering, with key focus on requirements elicitation, definition and decomposition, as well as associated test planning, execution, and evidence-based demonstration of requirements and design compliance to achieve certification and acceptance by internal and external assessors. The role inherently requires a strong aptitude for problem solving and an ability to understand complex interdependencies, as well as managing requirements and design inputs from multiple stakeholder groups.
This Principal Systems Engineer role is within the Integrated Mission Solutions business group and will focus on developing desktop programming and analysis toolsets, which provide users with the ability to configure Electronic Warfare (EW) sensor systems with mission-specific capabilities; this ability allows aircraft to more effectively to identify and counter threats, as well as providing an improved understanding of detected threat systems through post-mission analysis to further enhance future mission effectiveness and platform survivability.
What you will get
- Advanced Technology: You will have the ability to contribute to the development of market-leading product development, providing advanced capability and protection to UK platforms.
- EW Expertise: Leonardo has subject-matter experts with extensive and detailed knowledge of the EW domain, technology, performance, and operational capabilities - the learning potential is limitless!
- Continuous Learning: Whether it's EW, engineering lifecycle processes, leadership, or personal development, you'll be supported in your ongoing professional development though training and mentoring.
- Teamwork: You will work alongside like-minded professional engineers in a highly collaborative environment.
- Connections: You will be joining an expansive team of around 7,000 people at six major sites across the UK.
- EW Heritage: We are proud of our rich heritage in EW, with 100 years of pioneering EW development. Today we're providing the latest advances in RF technology and enabling our customers to keep pace with an ever-evolving EW environment.
Key Responsibility Areas
What you will do
- Work in a cross-discipline team utilising an Agile lifecycle methodology to develop and deliver products in an iterative and flexible manner.
- Liaise with EW technical specialist teams to elicit stakeholder requirements and develop your understanding of the EW detection and countermeasure systems that the programming and analysis toolsets support.
- Liaise with customers, end-users and key internal stakeholders to establish current and future needs and requirements and providing recommendations for product / technology roadmaps.
- Elicit and analyse stakeholder requirements to influence and define system / sub-system requirements and design considerations.
- Lead verification and validation activities to test performance, usability, and effectiveness of the system.
- Lead requirements and design compliance against user and system requirements, and ensure full evidence and traceability exists.
- Support engineering gate reviews, providing technical input and presenting material when required.
- Create engineering specifications, reports and presentations and delivery to internal and external customers and industry partners.
- Travel within the UK to meet with our customers and industry partners.
Skills, Qualifications & Knowledge Required
You really must have:
- Strong demonstrable experience of working across the full systems engineering lifecycle.
- Experience of engineering gate reviews and the associated assessment of design compliance.
- High proficiency in requirements elicitation, negotiation, definition, traceability, and evidence-based compliance.
- Extensive experience of creating test and acceptance plans to provide traceable evidence of system performance and functionality against requirements.
- Extensive experience of requirements management methods and toolsets (ideally DOORS).
- Experience of developing deliverable desktop software products / toolsets.
- Knowledge of passive / active RF airborne sensor system characteristics.
- Experience of developing systems / products using an Agile lifecycle process.
- Self-motivated with an aptitude to problem solving and ability to drive difficult issues to conclusion in support of team goals.
- Ability to lead aspects of design / delivery activities in accordance with project plans and processes.
- Excellent verbal and written communication/collaboration skills.
- Experience of collaborating with a variety of internal and external stakeholders of varying seniorities.
It would be nice if you had:
- Knowledge of EW Operational Support.
- In-depth knowledge of passive / active EW sensor systems, including signal detection and processing methods to achieve emitter identification and countermeasure.
- Experience of working alongside military end-users.