Principal Systems Engineer-Sensor Task Management
Leonardo has a fantastic opportunity for a Principal Systems Engineer on a permanent basis working at our modern and purpose-built Luton (Capability Green) site. The Principal Systems Engineer will need to be a talented and highly experienced systems engineer, familiar with working on large and complex systems within the defence industry, with a mindset towards system-of-system (SoS) design and development.
The Principal Systems Engineer will have extensive experience of multi-sensor systems, specifically around the development of command and control (C2) / tasking architectures for these systems. A strong technical ability in multispectral sensors and / or technologies will be required to create a system architecture capable of delivering the required sensor control functionality. The role inherently requires a strong aptitude for problem solving and an ability to understand complex interdependencies, encompassing various degrees of uncertainty as well as managing requirements and design inputs from multiple stakeholder groups.
This Principal Systems Engineer role is within the Major Air Programmes business group, and will focus on developing conceptual system designs for a highly integrated multispectral avionic sensor suite. The system will provide next-generation Electronic Warfare (EW) capabilities (e.g. detection, identification, countermeasure, and communication) to provide unrivalled mission effectiveness and platform survivability.
What you will get
- Advanced Technology: You will have the ability to contribute to the development of market-leading technology and product development, providing advanced capability and protection to UK platforms.
- EW Expertise: Leonardo has subject-matter experts with extensive and detailed knowledge of the EW domain, technology, performance, and operational capabilities - the learning potential is limitless!
- Continuous Learning: Whether it's EW, engineering lifecycle processes, leadership, or personal development, you'll be supported in your ongoing professional development though training and mentoring.
- Teamwork: You will work alongside like-minded professional engineers in a highly collaborative environment.
- Connections: You will be joining an expansive team of around 7,000 people at six major sites across the UK.EW Heritage: We are proud of our rich heritage in EW, with 100 years of pioneering EW development.
- Today we're providing the latest advances in RF technology and enabling our customers to keep pace with an ever-evolving EW environment.
Key Responsibility Areas
What you will do
- Develop system control algorithms and architectures to provide varying levels of autonomous tasking methods for the multi-spectral sensor suite.
- Define and develop control/tasking techniques within a modelling and simulation environment.
- Perform analysis and modelling to demonstrate the effectiveness of control/tasking architectures and algorithms.
- Liaise with sensor, communication and control subject matter experts to support design activities.
- Engage with end-users to understand the operational/mission use for the sensor suite.
- Assess design compliance against user and system requirements, alongside key performance parameters.
- Identify performance improvements and propose candidate solutions, implementation methods, and routes to demonstration of design compliance.
- Creation of technical documentation to support the system design capture / definition.
- Create formal specifications, reports and presentations for delivery to internal and external customers and industry partners.
- Work within an Agile development lifecycle to allow rapid and flexible response to change.
- Travel within the UK to meet with our customers and industry partners.
Skills, Qualifications & Knowledge Required
What we're looking for
You really must have:
- Experience working with tasking of multiple RF/EO/IR sensor systems.
- Background in developing tasking/control systems and environments.
- Proficiency in the use of mathematical modelling tools (i.e. MATLAB & Simulink)
- Experience of embedded and/or HDL code generation (from Math-works products is desirable).
- An understanding of system use cases and subsequent decomposition to facilitate sub-system design.
- Ability to work within a team with a high degree of design complexity and significant levels of uncertainty.
- Knowledge of EW technology (e.g. Radar, EO, IR), performance, operational capabilities, and mission use.
- Good understanding of design compliance and acceptance criteria relating at varying stages of system maturity.
- Ability to assume ownership for deliverables in accordance with project plans and processes.
- Excellent verbal and written communication/collaboration skills.
- Experience of collaborating with a variety of internal and external stakeholders of varying seniorities.
It would be nice if you had:
- Experience working with configuration management tools (e.g. Azure, Git).
- Knowledge of architecture frameworks (e.g. SysML) and tools (e.g. Cameo Systems Modeler /Magic-Draw).
- Knowledge of requirements management methods and tools (e.g. DOORS).