Principal Supportability Engineer
Leonardo is an international leader in the development of cutting edge sensor products deployed across a wide range of airborne platforms for our Aerospace and Defence customers. Pushing the boundaries of technology, accuracy, and safety in engineering globally - our technology defines the capability of the Eurofighter Typhoon; our products help to return service men and women safely home; our surveillance radars help coastguards save lives at sea.
What type of work will I be involved in?
The role requires an experienced Supportability Engineer or Support Solutions Engineer to work in our Support Solutions Integrated Product Team involved in the in-service support activities for our current and next generation of Ultra High Performance Radar Systems.
The role is both internally and externally facing and requires a focus on driving best practice while maintaining a degree of diplomacy. Externally the tasks are with the partners (Euroradar Consortium) and internally primarily with the Operations & Supply Chain, Engineering, QA, Commercial and the project management teams.
Great work life balance.
Life shouldn't be all work and no play. That's why we offer brilliant benefits like half days on Fridays, flexible hours, gym memberships, and many other incentives to make life great. Not to forget, our award-winning pension scheme.
Note, that due to the nature of the tasks involved, you will have to achieve full SC security clearance, and may need to satisfy further UK eyes only and ITAR conditions.
Key Responsibility Areas
You will report directly to the Lead Supportability Engineer, covering the Captor Support elements of the Typhoon Radar Systems.
You will be responsible for;
- Driving Failure Reporting, Analysis and Corrective Action System (FRACAS) data collection and analysis for the Support contracts with the aim to drive out cost of support, through analysis/modelling.
- Assessing and determining the root cause from to NFF analysis
- Perform repairs analysis (performance and effectiveness)
- Assess and present Mean Times Between Arisings/Failure information at each level of maintenance on a periodic basis
- Lead Asset Management System improvements and act as main interface to the Asset Management team
- Collect support data and issue summary reports on emerging failure trends or concerns to provide the right information to the programme and engineering managers to make decisions.
- Coordinate the tasks of rota Apprentices while on placements in the support team and use junior members of the team deliver day to day support
- Identify, plan and implement process improvements across support business areas
- Stand in for Lead Supportability Engineer to cover holidays and other absences..
Will I have a specific role or can I move around?
We encourage our Engineers to find and follow their passion. We offer fantastic opportunities for learning, development and professional growth. Your career will be massively varied. Join us, and you will be constantly reinventing and developing your technical skillset from one project to the next. Learning on the job isn't just a benefit - it's a must.
Where is our Edinburgh site?
The Leonardo site is at Crewe Toll in the North West of Edinburgh, a 10-15 minute bus ride from the city centre. You will be working within a vibrant capital city, with excellent transport links and walking distance to various key destinations. Free parking is provided on site.
Skills, Qualifications & Knowledge Required
In order to be considered for this role you will have significant practical experience working within a similar Support Service delivery role. Essentially you will possess a minimum of an HND, ideally at least a Second Class degree in Engineering or Systems related technical discipline.
You will ideally have knowledge in the following areas;
- In-Service Reliability Analysis techniques on electronic, Power, RF, mechanical and mixed technology systems,
- Asset management and tracking experience.
- Repair coordination and configuration process control.
- Statistical Data analysis and hypothesis testing
- Extensive experience in the use of MS tools, especially Excel/PowerPoint.
- What is required in an effective Failure Reporting and Corrective Action System (FRACAS) Processes in production and in-service phases of the product lifecycle.
- How to present a compelling argument/business case to senior management and partners in order to remove cost drivers from the support solution