IT Infra Engineer - Networks specialist
Subject to contract award Leonardo is expecting an IT project, for a UK Government customer, to start at the end of September 2020.
It will involve taking on some legacy office IT and datacentres, building a new IT infrastructure based on cloud technology, developing a wide range of managed services to create an Infrastructure as a Service (IaaS) environment, supported by comprehensive ITIL-based support services. It will also involve migrating some legacy systems to the new IaaS environment. The new IaaS will then be operated by Leonardo until contract expiry or re-compete, 5 years from commencement.
All the work will take place around the M3/M4 corridor between London and Bristol.
How this role fits in
Shortly after the commencement of the programme, an infrastructure Implementation team will be responsible for procuring, building, installing and setting to work, the core IaaS equipment, at more than one site.
The team will report to a project manager and will contain engineers with a range of experience and skills including security, Windows infrastructure, networks, Cloud infrastructure and ITIL centric support.
This role is the networks specialist within the team.
You will be responsible for the build of the network infrastructure and then to engage as part of the team to integrate this with the VMware Cloud Foundation (VCF) technology and Windows infrastructure to deliver a physical solution ready for testing. Following this, to participate as a team member in the physical installation and support to commissioning at multiple sites and a variety of other test procedures.
You will report to the Project Manager - Infrastructure, with regard to tasking.
You will consult and inform the programme Lead Technical Architect with regard to network queries.
The engagement is expected to last for 12 months. There are opportunities to transfer into a similar migration role and then an ongoing service team role within the programme.
Who would suit this role?
This role would ideally suit a talented and qualified IT networks engineer with particular experience in the domain of sensitive and operationally critical systems.
Key Responsibility Areas
- Develop a good knowledge of the solution Architecture and the essential programme security policies and guidance.
- Participate in Goods Inwards procedures
- Undertake build and component test activities.
- Undertake integration and sub-system test activities
- Produce high quality documentation according to programme-specific standards
- Participate in extensive system and service testing
- Participate in physical installation and further testing
How will we support you?
We want to support you and encourage you to fulfil your potential through:
- Flex-leave schemes: We offer our employees the time and flexibility they need to enjoy a balanced life
- Annual leave: We offer 25 days holiday plus 8 bank holidays
- Supportive relocation package: to make your move to London even more attractive
- Award-winning pension scheme: Our multi-award-winning pension scheme includes generous employer contribution
- Employee discount schemes: We offer you and your family an attractive range of discounts from retail and cinema to hotel bookings and vehicles benefits
- Reserve Forces: We provide positive support to the Reserve Forces and allow employees who are Reservists to take additional time off
- Salary sacrifice schemes including childcare voucher scheme: We encourage working parents to save money on childcare by offering them several advantageous facilities and vouchers
- Career break: Where appropriate, we support our employees in pursuing other interests outside the workplace
To find out about all of our Company benefits please visit: http://www.uk.leonardocompany.com/people-careers/people/company-benefits
Skills, Qualifications & Knowledge Required
Nationality and security clearance
The role requires the candidate to be a full UK National with a current DV clearance or at least a current SC clearance.
These factors will need to be proven by UK Security Vetting.
CISCO CCNA Certification
Demonstrable understanding and experience of
- A good working knowledge of enterprise Firewalls (Cisco PIX/ASA, McAfee, F5)
- Cisco networking to CCNA level
- Citrix Terminal Services/XenApp services
- A good working knowledge of 'Nix operating systems (Solaris, Linux)
- Support professional with specific focus on providing effective system and user support
- Good customer services skills
- Proactive organisational skills with attention to detail
- Good interpersonal skills when dealing with peers and clients
- Good document writing skills to support system documentation, report writing and bid work
- Ability to manage work load for themselves and associated teams in pressurised environments to Time, Quality and standards
NIST 800 Series
UK MOD policies: JSPs 440 and 604
IT infrastructure design, build and implementation projects
Cloud service implementation
More searches like this
- Aerospace SC Permanent £70,000 - £79,999 jobs in Bristol (City Centre)
- Central Government SC Permanent £70,000 - £79,999 jobs in Bristol (City Centre)
- Cyber Security SC Permanent £70,000 - £79,999 jobs in Bristol (City Centre)
- Defence SC Permanent £70,000 - £79,999 jobs in Bristol (City Centre)
- Engineering SC Permanent £70,000 - £79,999 jobs in Bristol (City Centre)