Satellite Digital Design Engineer - ASIC / FPGA
Airbus is a global leader in aeronautics, space and related services. In 2019 it generated revenues of € 70.5 billion and employed a workforce of around 134,000. Airbus offers the most comprehensive range of passenger airliners. Airbus is also a European leader providing tanker, combat, transport and mission aircraft, as well as one of the world's leading space companies. In helicopters, Airbus provides the most efficient civil and military rotorcraft solutions worldwide.
Our people work with passion and determination to make the world a more connected, safer and smarter place. Taking pride in our work, we draw on each other's expertise and experience to achieve excellence. Our diversity and teamwork culture propel us to accomplish the extraordinary - on the ground, in the sky and in space.
About the Skynet 6A Project
Airbus Defence and Space provides a range of space-based services to customers worldwide including supporting the UK Armed Forces, and its NATO Allies. Airbus has owned and operated the Skynet military communications system, providing 24/7 services across the world for more than 15 years on behalf of the UK MOD.
In July 2020, Airbus Defence and Space signed a contract with the UK Ministry of Defence (MOD) to extend and enhance the Skynet fleet. The project involves the development, manufacture, cyber protection, assembly, integration, test and launch, of a military communications satellite, Skynet 6A, planned for launch in 2025.
This contract for 6A demonstrates the strong working partnership we have with UK MOD, built on the success we have jointly achieved on the Skynet 5 system since 2003 and continues our long tradition as the UK national milsatcom end-to-end services provider. We are now actively recruiting to grow the Skynet 6A delivery team and have a number of vacancies across a diverse range of disciplines.
Description of the job :
A vacancy has arisen for an ASIC / FPGA Engineer within the Communication Products Group based in Stevenage. We are currently expanding to meet increasing demand for more advanced technologies both on national programmes, such as Skynet 6A, and for customers globally.
The Communication Products group is responsible for the development of Digital Processors for use in telecommunication Satellites. The processor functionality ranges from high capacity channelisers, supporting inter-satellite optical data links, to implementing cryptographic algorithms to protect the spacecraft.
In this rewarding role you will be developing some of the highest performing digital communication payload equipment available anywhere in the world, and be part of the rapidly expanding UK space sector.
The availability of advanced Payload Equipment is the driving force behind the digital telecommunication satellite industry, and the team is a proven world leader in this field.
We are committed to offering continuous training and career development. We understand that our success is based on our people and we strive to offer all our employees an enjoyable and rewarding career.
Task & accountabilities :
Your main tasks and responsibilities will include:
- Decomposition of requirements into an architecture design and document the chosen design whilst describing any trade-offs performed.
- Detailed RTL design in VHDL.
- Verification of the RTL design and documenting the verification that was performed.
- Gate level implementation of the design including synthesis, placement and static timing analysis.
- Support integration of the ASIC / FPGA into the target hardware.
- Ensure that all ASIC / FPGA designs are developed in accordance with the company design process.
- Support customer design reviews.
Required skills :
We are looking for candidates with the following skills and experience:
- Experienced in the complete design flow from requirements to design acceptance
- Experienced in VHDL simulation tools in particular Mentor Graphics Questa.
- Experienced in FPGA technologies and their tools including Xilinx and Microsemi.
- Experience in synthesis and STA tools from Synopsys is beneficial
- Good analytical skills and methodical approach to problem resolution and investigations.
- Good communication skills and able to thrive in a team environment.
- Ability to present technical data in a clear and concise manner.
- Experience of the Linux operating system would be beneficial.
- Knowledge of scripting languages including TCL and PERL would be beneficial
Many of our staff work flexibly in many different ways, including part-time. Please talk to us at interview about the flexibility you need. We can't promise to give you exactly what you want, but we do promise not to judge you for asking.
We value the strength that diverse perspectives bring to our business, so if you require any reasonable adjustments to fully participate in the recruitment process please discuss this with the recruiter who contacts you.
The successful candidate will need to be eligible to gain UK SC Security Clearance to undertake the role.
In return we can offer a competitive salary with annual profit share; an ever growing list of company benefits including enhanced pay for maternity, paternity, adoption and shared parental leave and strong career development options across our transnational, market leading company.
We are 5 mins walk away from Stevenage train station (step free and lift access), easily accessible by road and bus, car parking on site, cycle racks. Close to many amenities including:
- High-street shops and supermarkets
- Restaurants and eateries
- Gyms, Swimming pool and Parks
- Cinema, bowling and Recreational facilities
This job requires an awareness of any potential compliance risks and a commitment to act with integrity, as the foundation for the Company's success, reputation and sustainable growth.
More searches like this
- Aerospace None / Undisclosed Permanent £60,000 - £69,999 jobs in London (Greater)
- Defence None / Undisclosed Permanent £60,000 - £69,999 jobs in London (Greater)
- Engineering None / Undisclosed Permanent £60,000 - £69,999 jobs in London (Greater)
- Information Technology None / Undisclosed Permanent £60,000 - £69,999 jobs in London (Greater)
- Scientific None / Undisclosed Permanent £60,000 - £69,999 jobs in London (Greater)