Satellite Digital Electronic Hardware Engineer - Detailed Design
Airbus is a global leader in aeronautics, space and related services. In 2019 it generated revenues of € 70.5 billion and employed a workforce of around 134,000. Airbus offers the most comprehensive range of passenger airliners. Airbus is also a European leader providing tanker, combat, transport and mission aircraft, as well as one of the world's leading space companies. In helicopters, Airbus provides the most efficient civil and military rotorcraft solutions worldwide.
Our people work with passion and determination to make the world a more connected, safer and smarter place. Taking pride in our work, we draw on each other's expertise and experience to achieve excellence. Our diversity and teamwork culture propel us to accomplish the extraordinary - on the ground, in the sky and in space.
About the Skynet 6A Project
Airbus Defence and Space provides a range of space-based services to customers worldwide including supporting the UK Armed Forces, and its NATO Allies. Airbus has owned and operated the Skynet military communications system, providing 24/7 services across the world for more than 15 years on behalf of the UK MOD.
In July 2020, Airbus Defence and Space signed a contract with the UK Ministry of Defence (MOD) to extend and enhance the Skynet fleet. The project involves the development, manufacture, cyber protection, assembly, integration, test and launch, of a military communications satellite, Skynet 6A, planned for launch in 2025.
This contract for 6A demonstrates the strong working partnership we have with UK MOD, built on the success we have jointly achieved on the Skynet 5 system since 2003 and continues our long tradition as the UK national milsatcom end-to-end services provider. We are now actively recruiting to grow the Skynet 6A delivery team and have a number of vacancies across a diverse range of disciplines.
A vacancy has arisen for a Satellite Digital Electronic Hardware Engineer within the Communication Products group based in Stevenage.
The Communication Products group is responsible for the development of Digital Processors for use in telecommunication Satellites. The processor functionality ranges from high capacity channelisers, supporting inter-satellite optical data links, to implementing cryptographic algorithms to protect the spacecraft.
In this rewarding role you will join a multi-disciplinary team with access to experts in all disciplines, and be responsible for developing some of the highest performing digital communication payload equipment available anywhere in the world as part of the rapidly expanding UK space sector.
Business Area Description
The Digital Product Definition team are developing world-leading digital signal processors and cryptographic equipment for modern communications satellites. Our products fly in a range of missions from Low Earth Orbit satellite constellations to space observatories beyond Earth orbit. We are currently expanding to meet increasing demand for more advanced technologies both on national programmes and for customers globally.
Task & accountabilities:
In this role you will have the opportunity to get involved in all phases of hardware design and development, from hardware concept and requirements definition, through to detailed design and hardware bring-up.
- Produce digital electronic board specifications, from product or architecture requirements.
- Define interfaces and digital parameters, considering switching speeds, pulses, rise and fall times, feedback and interference, impedance of devices, signal transmission.
- Define performance criteria and define how to prove validation and verification of performance with test strategy.
- Produce circuit diagrams, iterating design where necessary due to circuit analysis outputs and PCB layout constraints.
- Support detailed design in CAD/CAM or VHDL implementation on component/ equipment/ mechanical/VHDL level in accordance with engineering design rules.
- Excellent team-working, decision-making skills and analytical skills required.
- Demonstrated ability to provide sufficient detailed data and information about system elements to enable consistent hardware implementation in accordance with the allocated requirements.
- Demonstrated ability to master the design and/or perform analysis of digital electronic circuits using the latest digital design tools, including the design of printed circuit boards, logic circuits, schematic capture, signal integrity, timing analysis, worst case analysis, and environmental constraints.
- Knowledge of test and measurement techniques for digital circuits.
- Ability to verify the compliance of a detailed design solution toward baseline of validated requirements.
We are committed to offering continuous training and career development. We understand that our success is based on our people and we strive to offer all our employees an enjoyable and rewarding career.
Many of our staff work flexibly in many different ways, including part-time. Please talk to us at interview about the flexibility you need. We can't promise to give you exactly what you want, but we do promise not to judge you for asking.
We value the strength that diverse perspectives bring to our business, so if you require any reasonable adjustments to fully participate in the recruitment process please discuss this with the recruiter who contacts you
The successful candidate will need to be eligible to gain UK SC Security Clearance to undertake the role.
In return we can offer a competitive salary with annual profit share; an ever growing list of company benefits and strong career development options across our transnational, market leading company.
We are 5 mins walk away from Stevenage train station (step free and lift access), easily accessible by road and bus, car parking on site, cycle racks. Close to many amenities including:
- High-street shops and supermarkets
- Restaurants and eateries
- Gyms, Swimming pool and Parks
- Cinema, bowling and Recreational facilities
This job requires an awareness of any potential compliance risks and a commitment to act with integrity, as the foundation for the Company's success, reputation and sustainable growth.
More searches like this
- Aerospace None / Undisclosed Permanent £50,000 - £59,999 jobs in London (Greater)
- Central Government None / Undisclosed Permanent £50,000 - £59,999 jobs in London (Greater)
- Defence None / Undisclosed Permanent £50,000 - £59,999 jobs in London (Greater)
- Information Technology None / Undisclosed Permanent £50,000 - £59,999 jobs in London (Greater)
- Security None / Undisclosed Permanent £50,000 - £59,999 jobs in London (Greater)