Principal Maritime Consultant (Environmental)
RINA Consulting Defence Ltd is offering an opportunity for a high calibre, talented and experienced Principal Maritime Environmental Consultant to join its growing Space & Defence Safety team. This specialist team delivers Safety and Environmental activities on behalf of national and overseas clients from offices in Bath, Leatherhead and Lincoln as well as onsite at clients’ premises therefore we are flexible on your base location. Our expert team of consultants enable delivery of multiple exciting and complex safety critical programmes; you will find yourself working on a range of defence projects, both for the MOD and commercial customers.
As a Principal Maritime Environmental Consultant you can expect to be challenged intellectually and professionally with job variety and opportunities to travel. Working as a Maritime expert within the safety team you will actively engage with both existing, and potential clients to promote RINA’s core capabilities. You‘ll have a degree of autonomy and independence in the identification and engagement of such prospects as well as a working with our Business Development Manager in order to support our growth aspirations.
Business development will be delivered alongside a core programme of work for clients which is predominantly centred around the understanding and articulation of functional safety, risks and hazards.
- Develop safety arguments, authoring, updating, reviewing and independent auditing of Environmental Cases;
- Technical Leadership of Independent Environmental Audit and Advisor projects;
- Provision of environmental consultancy services to defence and commercial customers; assuming project management responsibilities, ensuring delivery of projects to time, budget and client satisfaction;
- Derive environmental requirements, regulation, policy and legislation requirements scoping and compliance;
- Environmental management system development and planning;
- Hazard identification and analysis using recognised methodologies;
- Carry out qualitative and quantitative assessment of risk from normal and accident conditions;
- Integrate design data into safety and/or environmental case claims, arguments and evidence-based cases;
- Assume Bid Management responsibilities to include supporting the preparation of commercial and technical proposals.
Skills, Experience & Qualifications
- Substantial demonstrable experience of the safety and environmental aspects of Defence programmes such as:
- Conducting a wide range of safety analysis of whole and sub-systems; Holding positions that demanded a high level of professional conduct; Environmental Aspect, Environmental Impact and Environmental Risk development, including EISS activities.
- A detailed knowledge of the following practises and standards is required:
- HAZOP/HAZAN, FTA/ETA/FMECA/Bow Tie Analysis, domain specific regulation and policy; Def Stan 00-056, DSA02-DMR, JSP430, JSP815, Mil Std 882 and the Project Oriented Environmental Management System (POEMS).
- An engineering degree or post graduate qualification in environmental studies or system safety and environmental subjects is preferred;
- CEng status is preferred (Professional Body Membership supporting experience of working to recognised Codes of Practice is advantageous);
- Previous success in the identification and development of new business opportunities is desired; and
- Candidates must be willing to travel globally if required and must be Security Cleared at the point employment commences.
You will have the ability to quickly establish excellent working relationships with customers and colleagues. You’ll have meticulous planning skills with highly developed organisational and time management skills. You’ll be a competent presenter, able to deliver ideas successfully with strong negotiation and persuasion skills. You don’t compromise your high quality standards and focus on service delivery and excelling customers’ expectations. You’ll have fine-tuned report writing skills and be able to apply a tailored approach to meet customer needs supported by your strong analytical and numerical skills you are quickly able to produce workable solutions to problems. You have a flexible and adaptable nature and are able to meet changing client / business needs.
We offer competitive salaries and pension contributions; you’ll enjoy a generous leave allowance, private medical care, life insurance and more. Our great financial benefits are only part of the attraction; you can expect an excellent induction, quick integration and real opportunities for professional development. As part of our growing global team you’ll find yourself working with world-class clients in a variety of market sectors.
RINA Consulting is the engineering consultancy division of the RINA Group. Working alongside clients, as a trusted technical partner, RINA Consulting provides a wide range of traditional and innovative services to critical industry sectors, including oil & gas, power, renewables, space & defence, transport & infrastructure sectors. Over 1,700 talented professionals give us the depth of experience across engineering disciplines to support clients at each phase of their project – from initial concepts and design, through to operation, maintenance and decommissioning. We are committed to providing services that are of the highest quality for our clients, creating added value for their business through our technical advice and support – managing risk, operating safely, and optimising performance in a sustainable way.