Safety & Surety Engineer
Safety & Surety Engineer - Warhead Engineering
Location - Reading / Basingstoke Area
Salary - £33,850 - £45,850 dependent on experience plus contributory pension scheme, generous holiday entitlement, additional benefits and an excellent work / life balance including a 9-day working fortnight and flexible working hours (role dependent). A salary sacrifice scheme is also available. We will consider candidates looking for full time or part time hours.
AWE has been named in the Sunday Times top 25 big companies to work for in 2019.
We are currently recruiting for Safety and Surety Engineers to be responsible for assessing compliance of product design, design changes and process modifications against applicable statutory and safety requirements. The post holder will apply appropriate safety methods, tools and techniques to support this process and will work with engineering teams to ensure successful delivery of design projects.
We are interested in hearing from candidates at various stages of their careers who have knowledge and or experience in providing guidance and support on design safety matters. This may include:
· Producing safety deliverables, in accordance with a project's Safety Management Plan, such as Design Safety Assessments, Safety Statements, Trials Hazard Statements and other supporting assessments
· Generating system safety architectures for design projects
· Undertaking reviews of design safety risk reduction options
· Ensuring compliance with Design Authority requirements for management of the safety information and provision of specialist advice
Ideally you will have also had demonstrable experience of working on multi-disciplined projects (which could be weapons based) which could include:
· Presenting authored documents to approving committees, stakeholder meetings and forums
· Liaising with other safety functions to align design safety with facility and operational safety within company management systems
· Delivering assigned tasks to time, cost and quality
· Working in safety assessment or a related role within a high hazard environment, for example, Civil Nuclear Power, or Off-shore Oil or Chemical industry
· Organising and supporting, HAZID/HAZOPs
Prior safety experience is a requirement for this role, however, candidates who have appropriate experience in a related field and are looking to develop into a safety role will also be considered.
Candidates must be willing and able to obtain and maintain the necessary security clearance for the role.
We welcome applications from candidates who would like to discuss flexible/part time working
AWE plays a crucial role in the defence of the United Kingdom, by providing and maintaining the warheads for the country's nuclear deterrent. We are a centre of scientific, engineering and technological excellence, with some of the most advanced research, design and production facilities in the world. Our unique expertise also assists the UK Government in developing innovative solutions to combat nuclear threat, terrorism and nuclear proliferation.
AWE is an equal opportunities employer. We value diversity and welcome applications from candidates from all backgrounds. We particularly welcome applications from sections of the community which are currently under-represented at AWE, including women, BAME and disabled people.