Mechanical Engineering Design Team Leader
Cheltenham, United Kingdom
- GE Aviation
- As a Mechanical Engineering Design Team Leader you will provide inspirational leadership for a growing and diverse mechanical engineering team, delivering all aspects of the electro mechanical design/development of our new Power Distribution Systems. You will be expected to provide strategic direction for all mechanical functions of product design, including influencing the structural and thermal integrity of our new product developments.
- Provide technical and commercial guidance with the global mechanical engineering teams, ensuring project milestones are monitored and developed. Ensuring corrective actions are implemented, in full consultation with the project leadership.
- Define top level team objectives and influence/support individual workload definition. Ensure project requirements, quality standards and NRE targets are highly viable and realistic to achieve.
- Champion/ lead technical project reviews, creating and presenting robust evidence of compliance to engineering procedures and process, applicable standards and championing best practise in GE's developing culture.
- Provide respectful leadership to the mechanical teams, leading with courage and by good example. In consultation with functional management, provide skills mentoring and help develop engineering capability to drive passion, pace and quality into our product development process.
- Cultivate effective relationships between the mechanical engineering disciplines, electrical, systems and project leadership. Promote strong accountability and responsibility for the execution of risk based technical excellence within a multi discipline environment.
- Proven experience in leading teams, delivering innovative, complex mechanical designs for new product development, preferably in a safety critical environment. Aviation applications ideally, however medical devices or other regulated industrial applications will be considered.
- BSc /MSc in Mechanical/ Design Engineering from an accredited university/college or similar level of knowledge / experience.
- Strong Working understanding of electro mechanical assembly design, with an appreciation of thermal and structural analysis, particularly of high current electrical assemblies. (knowledge of Ansys, Nastran, FloTherm)
- Experience of product design and development activities embracing design for manufacture, value engineering and comfortable working in a highly collaborative teams using a variety of data management systems (Windchill/Teamcentre PLM solutions)
- Ability to interface effectively across wide range of disciplines and skill levels, able to negotiate with external customers, internal stake holders and have ability to make challenging decisions under pressure. #LI-SM1 Applications from job seekers who require sponsorship to work in the UK are welcome and will be considered alongside all other applications. However, non-EU/EEA candidates may not be appointed to a post if a suitably qualified, experienced and skilled EU/EEA candidate is available to take up the post, as the employing body is unlikely, in these circumstances, to satisfy the Resident Labour Market Test. For further information please visit the UK Border Agency: website http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/visas-immigration/working Baseline Personnel Security Standard (BPSS) clearance is required and must be maintained for this role. Please note that in the event that BPSS clearance cannot be obtained, you may not be eligible for the role and/or any offer of employment may be withdrawn on grounds of national security. Please see the link below for further details regarding the requirements for BPSS clearance: https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/61212/hmg-personnel-security-controls.pdf
- Experience of working in a global team and supplier management.
- Outsource management and supplier management experience is desirable.
- Working knowledge of 3D modelling software preferably Siemens NX.
- Knowledge of Design for Excellence (DfX).