Location - Reading / Basingstoke area
AWE offer a competitive salary, market leading contributory pension scheme, generous holiday entitlement, excellent work/life balance including a 9-day working fortnight and flexible working hours (role dependent). A salary sacrifice scheme is also available.
AWE has been named in the Sunday Times top 25 big companies to work for in 2019.
We are looking to recruit a number of Criticality Scientists at various stages of their careers who can support the important work carried out at AWE.
Key aspects of the role will be to support the delivery of criticality safety assessments and the provision of specialist criticality safety support and advice to the facility / operational / project management teams to the agreed schedule for delivery, quality and cost.
We are particularly interested in hearing from candidates with hands on experience working within Criticality (or a related discipline in the nuclear industry). Some knowledge and or experience of the following would also be preferred:
· Techniques used in criticality safety and an overview of the different regulatory methods outside the UK
· Nuclear physics; e.g. cross section uncertainties for Pu and U isotopes, nuclear data libraries, energy structures, collision processing techniques, ability to derive uncertainties using experimental data (and appropriate ranges of application)
· Nuclear transport codes - Monte Carlo and deterministic methods
· Requirements of fissile operations within a Nuclear Licensed Site
· Physics of criticality (and an understanding of the chemistry and metallurgy of fissile materials)
· Risk assessment and hazard identification methods applied to major nuclear plant
· The Nuclear regulatory framework within the UK
Candidates must be willing to obtain and maintain the necessary security clearance for the role.
AWE plays a crucial role in the defence of the United Kingdom, by providing and maintaining the warheads for the country's nuclear deterrent. We are a centre of scientific, engineering and technological excellence, with some of the most advanced research, design and production facilities in the world. Our unique expertise also assists the UK Government in developing and delivering a range of innovative and integrated support services, including national nuclear security and counter-terrorism solutions.
AWE is an equal opportunities employer. We value diversity and welcome applications from candidates from all backgrounds. We particularly welcome applications from sections of the community which are currently under-represented at AWE, including women, BAME and disabled people.