Lead Manufacturing Engineer – Surface Coatings & Blade Finish Line
Gloucester, United Kingdom
- GE Aviation
- Deliver technical expertise and leadership on surface coatings and the blade finish line and repair line processes employed by Dowty Propellers to manufacture our composite blades. You will be working for the Manufacturing Engineering Department based in Gloucestershire, UK. Dowty ME is a multi-disciplined team of manufacturing engineers who take technical delegation for our Product Lines which manufacture aerospace and marine propeller systems to Time, Cost, Quality & Safety Targets.
- Technical leadership and governance of the processes under your control. (Root Bond, Shot peen, Cuffing, Prep, Paint, Poly Coat, Leading Edge Guard, Overshoe, Sealing Paint, Part-marking, Bearing installation.
- Deliver line side shop support and technical problem solving to the Dowty production lines through the line side Manufacturing Engineers.
- Own and manage shop floor process instructions, quality metrics and standard manhours.
- Identify process and technology improvements and see them through to implementation.
- Support plant review meeting aligned with the GE Aviation's Production System (GEAPS).
- Champion structured problem solving and robust root cause corrective actions (RCCA) using industry best practise methods.
- Develop Dowty Core processes to continue to be world class.
- Influence and drive the improvements necessary in the various production lines and their respective integrated product teams (IPT)
- Be on the cutting edge of composite and manufacturing technology/ shop floor advancements in your area of expertise.
- Conduct Research & development beyond TRL6 and deliver into production
- Provide technical and commercial support to the supply chain through the sourcing teams.
- Represent Dowty inside GE and across the world in terms of the best in class use of CFRP
- Provide support and champion use of digital shop-floor technologies.
- Develop and support Production Test rigs
- Demonstrated experience of high performance surface coatings and composite assembly line processes(CFRP) production to aerospace requirements.
- Bachelor's Degree qualified in a suitable engineering discipline or demonstrated experience in lieu or equivalent knowledge
- Project Management
- Excellent Technical problem solving and troubleshooting
- Lean Practitioner and PM competence to deliver improvement projects
- Experience of New Product Introduction
- Able to balance daily demands vs project work / long term problem solving
- Excellent written and verbal communications, comfortable communicating at all levels of the business (from the shop floor to the managing director)
- Demonstrated cross functional technical leadership experience
- Experience of production tooling (design, manufacture, maintenance, calibration & repair)Applications from job seekers who require sponsorship to work in the UK are welcome and will be considered alongside all other applications. However, non-EU/EEA candidates may not be appointed to a post if a suitably qualified, experienced and skilled EU/EEA candidate is available to take up the post, as the employing body is unlikely, in these circumstances, to satisfy the Resident Labour Market Test. For further information please visit the UK Border Agency website http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/visas-immigration/working Baseline Personnel Security Standard (BPSS) clearance is required and must be maintained for this role. Please note that in the event that BPSS clearance cannot be obtained, you may not be eligible for the role and/or any offer of employment may be withdrawn on grounds of national security. Please see the link below for further details regarding the requirements for BPSS clearance https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/61212/hmg-personnel-security-controls.pdf
- Master's Degree qualified in a mechanical engineering subject.
- Chartered Engineer
- Project Management Qualification (PMP or equivalent)
- Six Sigma Green Belt
- Experience of dealing with suppliers (including tooling suppliers) and commercially astute
- Experience of dealing direct with customers on technical matters
- Experience of R&D programmes
- Recognised GE and Industry expert on your nominated process
- Experience of RTM CFRP Production to aerospace standards
- Experience of multi axis machining, metallic treatments, assembly processes and testing