Senior Portfolio/Programme Manager – Defence
Roke Manor Research Ltd delivers advanced research, development services and products to a wide variety of UK and international customers. Recently we have been developing our Project, Programme and Portfolio capabilities to address the needs of our growing (and increasingly complex) Portfolios and Programmes within the Defence, Government and Commercial Business Units.
We currently have an excellent opportunity for a highly motivated, knowledgeable and experienced Senior Portfolio/Programme Manager within our Defence Business Unit. The role will be based in our Romsey offices to manage large and complex portfolios that span both delivery and bid activity.
There is a wide scope of Programme and Portfolio work within the business ranging from Research & Development, Product Development, Solution Delivery, Hardware & Software Products and Solutions. As our portfolios expand, Roke will recognise your career aspirations to develop as a Programme and Portfolio expert in providing vital services to the business or broadening your experience.
What will your role look like?
- Manage a large portfolio of Projects (or a Programme of interrelated Projects) as per contractual requirements, on time, to quality and cost.
- Tailor the application of industry standard methodology, processes, and techniques (including MSP, MoP, and PRINCE2) to operate alongside Roke’s advanced engineering processes.
- Create effective Portfolio and Programme teams, ensuring appropriate rigour is introduced into the governance, organisation and management of the Portfolios/Programmes.
- Develop effective relationships with suppliers, subcontractors, partners, and customers to ensure successful and collaborative Portfolio/Programme delivery.
- Provide Leadership and management over all projects within the Portfolio/Programme, ensuring that detailed project planning, requirements management, financial control, risk, issues and dependency management are addressed.
- Ensure that the projects within the portfolio/programme are prioritised, and align with the strategic direction of the organisation.
- Production of investment appraisals where necessary.
- Monthly Portfolio/Programme reporting to Senior Management.
- Reviewing Programme /Portfolio finances on a monthly basis with the Financial Director and ensuring all projects are accurately recording and forecasting.
- Manage the resource requirements of the projects (working with our internal resourcing function).
What do we need from you?
- Degree level education or equivalent experience.
- Extensive experience (with a minimum of 5 years) in Portfolio and Programme Management of Portfolios/Programmes with a minimum value of approximately £10m.
- MSP and/or MoP qualifications.
- Experience of working in a complex engineering environments, particularly delivery of projects in the research and development of engineering solutions.
- Substantial knowledge of the Defence domain and experience in interfacing with UK MOD and government agencies.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills to board level.
- APMP and/or PRINCE2 qualifications
- Knowledge and use of Agile methodologies preferred
- The ability to travel nationally (and internationally)
What else would we like?
- The enthusiasm, motivation and leadership skills necessary to deliver with excellence and delight our customers.
- Where possible we expect our Portfolios/Programmes to offer innovation and/or best practice back into the business to increase overall performance
Where will you be based?
Your work will typically be located at Roke's sites in either Romsey, with some travel to customer sites and the possibility for you to work on secondment with a customer.
The benefits of working for us
We offer you a competitive salary and benefits package including:
- A substantial performance related bonus scheme, which we accompany with a clearly defined and fair review process.
- Company funded private medical insurance, for you and your family and an employee assistance program in addition to a contributory pension that will allow you to effectively save for the future.
- Flexi-leave scheme
- A whole host of flexible benefits to include childcare vouchers, travel insurance, and dental care.
We are committed to a policy of Equal Opportunity, Diversity, and Inclusion. Our working environment is friendly, innovative and inclusive. We can accommodate flexible working arrangements, and support a diverse work-force and those with additional needs.
Due to the nature of this position, we require you to either hold or be eligible to achieve SC clearance. As a result, you should be a British Citizen and have resided in the UK for the last 5 years for SC.
More searches like this
- Consultancy SC Permanent £80,000 - £89,999 jobs in Southampton
- Cyber Security SC Permanent £80,000 - £89,999 jobs in Southampton
- Defence SC Permanent £80,000 - £89,999 jobs in Southampton
- Engineering SC Permanent £80,000 - £89,999 jobs in Southampton
- Information Technology SC Permanent £80,000 - £89,999 jobs in Southampton