Principal Systems Engineer - AS
QinetiQ comprises teams of dedicated people; experts in defence, aerospace, security and related markets. We draw on our extensive technical knowledge and intellectual property to provide the know-how and support to solve some of the world’s most challenging problems. Our people make the critical difference to customers by providing unique approaches to problem solving. Why don’t you join some of the world’s finest scientific and technical minds and help us make tomorrow work today?
Job description/Person specification
This role co-ordinates the high-level engineering activities as applicable to systems. Addresses enterprise and lifecycle considerations, devises and coordinates a suitable systems engineering solution, integrating systems engineering and other technical and management (e.g. project management) disciplines. Engages with the customer and other collaborating organisations, including in the devising of plans, review of progress, the delivery of the resultant system, and any subsequent support activities. Employs approaches including planning/monitoring/control, multi-disciplinary systems engineering, concurrent engineering, the integration of engineering specialisms (e.g. safety), and ‘soft skills’ (such as team building), to ensure that safe, effective and efficient processes are applied.
Knowledge, skills and Personal Qualities Required
1. Good and effective communication and inter-personal skills
2. Leadership of technical delivery projects throughout the engineering lifecycle requiring delivery of complex solutions to a range of demanding customers
3. Employs approaches including planning/monitoring/control, multi-disciplinary systems engineering, concurrent engineering, the integration of engineering specialisms (e.g. safety), and ‘soft skills’ (such as team building), to ensure that safe, effective and efficient processes are applied
4. A solid understanding of the systems engineering lifecycle and its implementation
5. Understands the operational environment and underlying domain specific issues
6. Able to identify and manage complexity with appropriate techniques in order to reduce risk
7. Able to ensure that customer needs and expectations are addressed and/or satisfied
8. Able to identify, conceive, review, and judge the suitability of systems solutions
9. Experienced in the development and maturation of technology through the engineering lifecycle
10. Able to plan and oversee a transition to operation activity
11. Able to manage multidisciplinary teams of engineers and scientists and a broad range of internal and external stakeholders whilst building and maintaining excellent relationships.
12. Proactively anticipates potential problems and deals with barriers
13. Ability to communicate effectively with people at all levels across the department, business, and externally with customers, suppliers and other stakeholders
14. An understanding of the application of systems engineering to different domains
15. Willingness to travel as required
1. Working closely with the project manager to plan and deliver (generally through a team) all the technical/engineering activities required to meet project objectives
2. Responsible for devising and delivering the technical solution using sound technical, management and leadership skills such as systems engineering management and project management
3. Co-ordinates the high-level engineering activities as applicable to systems
4. Addresses enterprise and lifecycle considerations
5. Engages with the customer and other collaborating organisations, including in the devising of plans, review of progress, the delivery of the resultant system, and any subsequent support activities
6. Internal and external focal point of contact for the project on all technical/engineering aspects and assurance
7. Managing the technical risk and opportunities on behalf of the project
8. Ensuring that the system meets appropriate regulatory, legal, safety and other engineering requirements and standards
9. Responsible for directing and managing the output of assigned junior systems engineers (of potentially different specialisms).
Experience and Qualifications Requirement
1. A strong aviation and preferably Air Support background with HNC/HND/Degree in a relevant subject, or other qualifications with suitable experience. Degree Level qualification or equivalent, MSc or higher degree preferred
2. CEng or equivalent
3. At least 5 Years of recent experience of delivering multi-disciplinary complex solutions.
Has significant and current knowledge of the following areas and is taking active steps to sustain and extend this knowledge:
1. A good knowledge of UK Military Aviation Authority regulatory publications, Certification, and Trials Activities
2. Experience in the identification of hazards and subsequent risk assessment, combined with the ability to clearly articulate these in written and verbal communications
3. Experience of working with our Air Warfare Centre Partners e.g. 206 Sqn
4. Experience of UK military trial processes.
QinetiQ Systems Engineering Grading
GG10 - Associate
GG11 - Junior
GG12 - Senior
GG13 - Principal
GG14 - Senior Principal
QinetiQ offers an excellent salary and benefits package commensurate with a large international company some of which are highlighted below:-
• Career development across a diverse International organisation
• 50% off meals at selected restaurants , 40% off cinema tickets.
• Modern and collaborative working environment
• Pension - up to 10.5 % Company contributed
• Flexible Working , Social and family events
• Health Cash Plan , Health Screening, Employee Assistance 24/7
• Leading edge technology focus
• Private Medical Insurance and Dental Insurance at additional cost
• Childcare or After School Club , Annual Leave Purchase
• Personal Accident Insurance , Annual Travel Insurance
• Gym and sports facilities available at larger sites
• Payroll Giving and Volunteering - helping charities and local community