Principal Communications consultant
QinetiQ comprises teams of dedicated people; experts in defence, aerospace, security and related markets. We draw on our extensive technical knowledge and intellectual property to provide the know-how and support to solve some of the world’s most challenging problems. Our people make the critical difference to customers by providing unique approaches to problem solving. Why don’t you join some of the world’s finest scientific and technical minds and help us make tomorrow work today?
Job description/Person specification
QinetiQ's Secure Comms and Network Group are renowned for providing high quality, independent technical advice to the MOD in support of many of their major procurement programmes. We are seeking Communications Engineers to join our military communications consultancy business for roles based at Bristol.
The role requires a dynamic individual with strong technical expertise to be responsible for successfully applying technical knowledge and innovation to the development of current and future military-specific communications systems.
Working to help our clients deliver major UK communications and information systems, using your technical knowhow and skills to advise, formulate and de-risk procurement options. You will engage directly with clients, stakeholders, senior QinetiQ management and industry to gather information and shape views using technical evidence, analysis and sound judgement.
Key Accountabilities / Specific Responsibilities:
As Principal Engineer you will lead, plan and structure your team’s work, engage with relevant customers and stakeholders and report to the Project Manager on progress to ensure the requirements of work packages are delivered in the allocated timescales. The post holder will lead, or provide advice, on the design and development of communication systems across the communications spectrum.
The ideal candidate is a chartered engineer holding an engineering or science degree, with more than ten years' experience of communications systems and architectures. System knowledge should include Line of Site, Beyond Line of Site, Mobile Technologies and management systems. Existing Technical knowledge of military systems and current satellite technology is highly desirable. The candidate will have leadership, analytical and communication skills, with the ability to communicate concisely in written and verbal form at both an engineering level and with both senior management and their own team.
Specific responsibilities are likely to include:
• Engage with customers and stakeholders to derive a programme scope and identifying key areas of technical activity for reducing programme risk.
• Assessing and integrating ideas and advice from other subject matter experts to provide balanced, independent and robust recommendations.
• Collaborate with other areas of QinetiQ to identify and drive forward opportunities in the area of communications.
• Provide consultancy advice to relevant customers and stakeholders undertaking design and test activities to ensure that requirements are met.
• Undertake technical studies and coherent programmes of work to enable industry to define, de-risk and explore technical solutions and options.
• Conducting technical evaluations of industry proposals.
• Plan your team’s work and report to Project Manager on progress.
• Lead technical reviews.
• Travel to military and vendor sites within the UK and potentially overseas.
Knowledge and Skills required:
• Qualified to degree level in an Engineering or Communications discipline.
• Able to lead teams of technical experts.
• Have sound knowledge of the engineering development life cycle, from requirements capture to user acceptance, along with the associated system engineering and system integration activities appropriate to communication systems.
• Be able to identify emergent issues and risks around architectural approaches and technology maturity and supply.
• To innovate pragmatic solutions within time pressured development and integration programmes.
• Existing knowledge of current satellite technology and systems is highly desirable.
• Experience of working on military programmes is desirable.
• The candidate will have analytical and communication skills, with the ability to communicate concisely in written and verbal form at both an engineering level and with senior management.
Essential Personal Qualities and Behavioural Requirements:
• Self-motivated and Enthusiastic,
• Able to lead and direct technical teams,
• Able to work collaboratively within teams,
• Risk aware,
• Able to follow processes and procedures,