Technical Architect (DV) - South West
Currently seeking a number of Technical Architects, to fulfil a 12 month contractual requirement for my client based at their offices in Gloucestershire.
Due to the nature of the role and the time scale and requirements issued by the client, candidates have been advised that they must have current and active DV level security clearance for this role, and must be willing and eligible to obtain higher clearance as requested by the client.
Please find key information as per the below, provided by the client for your consideration:
The requirement is for Technical Architects / Technologists who can ideally demonstrate a solid 10+ years of experience in architecture, design and ‘hands on’ competence within a computer science orientated domain, although slightly less experience may be acceptable. Ideally this experience will have been gained from practical, whole lifecycle developments i.e. from the initial concepts, design and architecture of options and the final chosen solution through to implementation and delivery. The candidate needs to be comfortable working with senior management and working at a senior level within their own field, being able to manage and direct the work of junior architects, engineers and project personnel. The candidate needs to show that this has been achieved either by direct assignment management or matrix management. It is essential that the candidate is a ‘self-starter’ and able to organise their own workload and also that of others as required. The candidate will require practical knowledge and ability to work in either a traditional waterfall or agile based project structure.
Strong evidence is also required of experience in an enterprise infrastructure architecture capability, i.e. large scale conceptual / logical / physical architectures covering at least several business areas with a number of different technical / technology elements e.g. server hardware, networks, storage, etc. A strongly desired capability is the ability to work from first principles when required using knowledge and experience gathered to date in the application and development of new technologies.
Experience is required at both the theory and practical level i.e. to be able actively build and demonstrate a solution from a Minimum Viable Product through to the completed solution.
Ideally, the candidate also needs to show detail experience across the following areas (specific focused areas will be specified at the point of candidate selection):
Server hardware: Knowledge of primarily X86 platforms plus also other mainstream computing architectures. Also knowledge of High Performance Computing (HPC) would be a key advantage.
Storage Platforms: A good appreciation and knowledge of storage technologies including Block, SAN, Object, File plus the different storage interconnects. Also required is knowledge of tape silos and tape mechanisms, as well as backup and restore mechanisms. Key knowledge such as tiered storage, thin provisioning, data replication, data migration, routing, de-duplication.
Data Centres: Be able to show knowledge of data centre racking including HACS, and also power, cabling, cooling considerations.
Networks: A good appreciation of hardware and software SDN, LAN / WAN technologies and types of LAN such as Layer2, Layer3 etc. Knowledge of switches (i.e. Cisco) and also load balancing mechanisms.
Operating Systems: Knowledge of the following operating systems – Windows, UNIX - Linux (Red Hat) & Centos, Solaris, and the associated lifecycle management, standardisation, build management, patching and hardening.
- Strong knowledge of Puppet, Foreman, and related technologies including Hiera and Ansible.
- IaaS/PaaS – strong product knowledge of VMWare (VRealise/VRA) and/or OpenStack based solutions coupled with Openshift/Kubernetes/Docker based container solutions
- Knowledge of Active Directory and DNS.
- Experience of application servers (JBOSS) is required and also middleware components (Java, J2EE).
- Service Management: A knowledge of Service Management processes and supporting toolsets (ServiceNow and Microfocus) and the integration of the service management toolsets and tool suites.
- Cloud technologies: Certification and knowledge of solutions from AWS and/or Microsoft Azure/Azurestack – from an architecture and design through to deployment perspective
- Development and Middleware tools
- Dev/ops – practical knowledge of tool chaining through a CI/CD pipeline including the ability to code in main stream languages such as Python, C, etc.
Must be comfortable with:
- major upgrades to current systems with a change in solutions architecture or new solution components against an infrastructure or software known baseline;
- handling a new solution with an associated new architecture, with associated knowledge of the key areas; and
- being able to deal with complex business problems that require a new first of a kind solution.
- The candidate will have practical hands-on capabilities to investigate, provide, validate, benchmark and develop technologies, and approach at all levels, providing both technical depth and breadth.
The candidate will be interfacing with the client’s senior architects and technical/system design authorities as well as client personnel within client business areas. They will also be dealing with the account architects and engineers and will need to be seen as a lead architect acting within a matrix management structure. It will be necessary to show the following competencies:
- interpersonal savvy (i.e. relates well to people both inside and outside the organisation; builds appropriate rapport; builds constructive and effective relationships; uses diplomacy and tact; can diffuse even high-tension situations comfortably.);
- listening (i.e. practices attentive and active listening; has the patience to hear people out; can accurately restate the opinions of others even when he/she disagrees.);
- negotiation: (i.e. can negotiate skilfully in tough situations with both internal and external groups; can settle differences with minimum noise; can win concessions without damaging relationships; can be both direct and forceful as well as diplomatic; gains trust quickly of other parties to the negotiations; has a good sense of timing.);
- peer relationships (i.e. can quickly find common ground and solve problems for the good of all, represents his / her own interests and yet be fair to other groups, solves problems with peers with a minimum of noise; and
- is seen as a team player and is cooperative, easily gains trust and support of peers, encourages collaboration and can be candid with peers.
Must have good customer focus competencies: i.e.
- Is dedicated to meeting the expectations and requirements of internal and external customers;
- Elicits customer feedback and uses it for improvements in products and services; and
- Establishes and maintains effective relationships with customers and gains their trust and respect.
The customer is very technically savvy and therefore it is important that the candidate is highly rated with respect to the following competencies:
- Innovation management (i.e. Is good at bringing the creative ideas of others to market; has good judgement about which creative ideas and suggestions will work; has a sense about managing the creative process of others; can facilitate effective brainstorming; can project how potential ideas may play out in the marketplace.)
- Integrity and trust (i.e. Is widely trusted; is seen as a direct, truthful individual; can present the unvarnished truth in an appropriate and helpful manner; keeps confidences; admits mistakes; doesn't misrepresent him/herself for personal gain.)
- Decision quality (i.e. Makes good decisions (without considering how much time it takes) based upon a mixture of analysis, wisdom, experience, and judgement; most of his/her solutions and suggestions turn out to be correct and accurate when judged over time; sought out by others for advice and solutions.)
- Business acumen (i.e. Knows how businesses work; knowledgeable in current and possible future policies, practices, trends, and information affecting his/her business and organization; knows the competition; is aware of how strategies and tactics work in the marketplace.)
- Dealing with ambiguity (i.e. Can effectively cope with change; can shift gears comfortably; can decide and act without having the total picture; isn’t upset when things are up in the air; doesn’t have to finish things before moving on; can comfortably handle risk and uncertainty.)
- Intellectual horsepower (Is bright and intelligent; deals with concepts and complexity comfortably; described as intellectually sharp, capable, and agile.)
- Must be used to working with large scale complex programmes / projects that have a large financial value i.e. £5M or more,
- Must also be skilled in Proposal Development: (i.e. Identifies and evaluates business opportunities and responding via a proposal effort; activities include bid/no-bid analysis and decision, RFP analysis, proposal project management; develops proposal design and content, identifies unique selling points.)
Additional capabilities will include:
- Technical Designs: Ability to create revised and / or new conceptual, logical, and physical architectures / designs. This to cover whole lifecycle developments i.e. from the initial concepts, design and architecture of options and the final chosen solution through to implementation and delivery.
- Technical Consultancy: To provide technical consultancy on an as required basis to the Client and account technical staff, and to be recognised for the quality of decision making and solution development.
- Technical Leadership: To operate within a matrix management structure, leading the design and architecture efforts of other architects on the account. Essential that the candidate is able to organise their own workload.
- Technical Reference: To be seen as a main technical reference point for their own areas of expertise, and to disseminate knowledge / technical expertise as required.
More searches like this
- Aerospace DV Contract £130,000 - £139,999 jobs in Gloucestershire
- Central Government DV Contract £130,000 - £139,999 jobs in Gloucestershire
- Defence DV Contract £130,000 - £139,999 jobs in Gloucestershire
- Engineering DV Contract £130,000 - £139,999 jobs in Gloucestershire
- Information Technology DV Contract £130,000 - £139,999 jobs in Gloucestershire