Forensic Electrical Engineer/Failure Investigator
RINA is global leader in Asset Integrity, Forensic Engineering and Expert Witness Services. We are looking to recruit a Forensic Electrical Engineer/Failure Investigator to join our fast-growing business. You will have the opportunity to build upon existing experience by applying your knowledge to electrical design, testing, condition assessment and failure investigation projects. This opportunity is ideal for an electrical engineer who has extensive knowledge and experience of electrical system design and construction with a practical “hands on approach” to investigate failures of a wide range of electrical assets. This role will involve UK and overseas travel to undertake site work.
This role combines office-based projects with hands-on laboratory and site-based activities. The Electrical Engineer will be expected to run projects from the point of discussing requirements with potential customers, writing technical and commercial proposals, carrying out technical work and ultimately delivering reports to clients. As an experienced Electrical Engineer, you will be talking directly to clients; explaining why RINA is the best choice for solving their issues as well as being the prime engineer and project manager on projects.
Examples of laboratory-based projects include:
- Forensic strip down and fire investigations of industrial equipment and consumer products.
- Electrical safety and reliability assessment of products/equipment.
- Root cause failure analysis of high voltage electrical equipment.
Examples of site-based work include:
- Undertaking forensic investigations at locations such as electrical equipment manufacturers, commercial premises, renewable energy and large industrial sites.
Qualifications and Experience
A Bachelor’s degree or above (MEng, MSc or PhD) in Electrical Engineering or a related Electrical/Electronic discipline is necessary for this role. Experience of undertaking expert witness work as well as understanding of the application of forensic analytical techniques would be preferred. A strong working knowledge of mechanical and materials engineering principles and their relevance in electrical equipment failures. Experience of failure investigation related to electrical equipment, for example:
- Electrical and mechanical induced switchgear failures (VCB, ACB and MCCB and oil filled)
- Switch panels and switchboards
- Induction motors, synchronous generators and motors and variable speed drives
- UPS systems – diesel rotary and static
- Static transfer switches and converters
- Industrial transformers and reactors
- HV switches, CTs and VTs
- Solar and wind generation systems
- Protection failure
We offer competitive salaries and pension contributions, you’ll enjoy a generous leave allowance, private medical care, life insurance and more. Our great financial benefits are only part of the attraction, you can expect an excellent induction, quick integration and real opportunities for professional development.
As part of our growing global team you’ll find yourself working with world-class engineers for clients in a variety of market sectors. We will support you through our accredited professional development scheme, whether you are currently working towards Chartered Engineer status or are already chartered and undertaking Continuous Professional Development.
RINA is a global corporation providing testing, inspection, certification and consulting services across the Energy, Marine, Certification, Transport & Infrastructure and Industry sectors. We have been at the forefront of providing innovative and technical solutions for more than 150 years, working closely with clients as a trusted partner, assisting them in the most effective, safe and sustainable way. Through a global network of 3,700 talented professionals, operating in 170 offices in 65 countries, we support our clients across the entire life cycle of their projects. Facing new challenges, adapting to new contexts and being where big things happen: working with us means turning our clients’ ideas into success. You will transform challenges into opportunities and brilliant ideas into excellent solutions.
More searches like this
- Defence None / Undisclosed Permanent £50,000 - £59,999 jobs in Leatherhead
- Digital Forensics None / Undisclosed Permanent £50,000 - £59,999 jobs in Leatherhead
- Engineering None / Undisclosed Permanent £50,000 - £59,999 jobs in Leatherhead
- Information Technology None / Undisclosed Permanent £50,000 - £59,999 jobs in Leatherhead
- Scientific None / Undisclosed Permanent £50,000 - £59,999 jobs in Leatherhead