Mechanical Design Engineer - Avionics
Cheltenham, United Kingdom
- GE Aviation
- An opportunity has arisen for a Mechanical Design Engineer within the Avionics business.This position is required to meet increased demand for mechanical engineering support on existing and new projects. The team is responsible for the mechanical design of electronic equipment for aerospace applications. In this role you will utilise your knowledge in mechanical engineering to design, develop and support electronic equipment as part of a multidisciplinary project team.
- The Mechanical Design Engineer provides engineering input and assistance to the project team in order to meet assigned objectives. In this role you will work within defined parameters to make decisions, apply concepts to issues of moderate complexity, and resolve issues through immediate action or short term planning.
- Execute the design and support of assigned products, assemblies or components that meet business standards and program/product requirements.
- Provide technical leadership to personnel/ cross functional teams supporting the assigned project.
- The creation of technical data for assigned projects and/or tasks, e.g. part and assembly drawings, parts lists, weight management plans, tolerance analysis, definition of materials and finishes.
- Develop action plans with guidance to respond to issues/ problems.
- Assure proper documentation and release of technical data generated for the assigned projects and/or tasks consistent with engineering policies and procedures.
- Lead or participate on teams assigned to address organizational initiatives and generic issues
- Recommend, with guidance, the approach to meet the technical and program requirements
- Participate in and/or present at technical and program reviews.
- Assure proper documentation of technical data generated for the assigned projects and/or tasks consistent with engineering policies and procedures
- Share engineering information and promote open dialogue.
- Investigate design cost reduction and productivity improvements.
- Bachelor's degree from an accredited university or college (or a high school diploma/GED) or equivalent knowledge and experience
- Substantial experience in Mechanical Engineering including experience in anMechanical Engineering position.
- Experience in the use of MCAD modelling and drawing creation.
- Conversant with relevant drawing standards.
- Experience in the physical design of assemblies and components with good problem solving and solution building skills.
- An understanding of designing for cost, quality.
- Competent in the use of MS Office suite of software.
- Ability to work well within a team environment.
- Ability to own tasks, show initiative and work with minimal supervision.
- Good written and verbal communication skills.Applications from job seekers who require sponsorship to work in the UK are welcome and will be considered alongside all other applications. However, non-EU/EEA candidates may not be appointed to a post if a suitably qualified, experienced and skilled EU/EEA candidate is available to take up the post, as the employing body is unlikely, in these circumstances, to satisfy the Resident Labour Market Test. For further information please visit the UK Border Agency website http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/visas-immigration/working Baseline Personnel Security Standard (BPSS) clearance is required and must be maintained for this role. Please note that in the event that BPSS clearance cannot be obtained, you may not be eligible for the role and/or any offer of employment may be withdrawn on grounds of national security. Please see the link below for further details regarding the requirements for BPSS clearance https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/61212/hmg-personnel-security-controls.pdf
- Strong oral and written communication skills.
- Strong interpersonal and leadership skills.
- Ability to influence others and lead small teams.
- Lead initiatives of moderate scope and impact.
- Ability to coordinate several projects simultaneously.
- Effective problem identification and solution skills.
- Proven analytical and organizational ability.
- Experience with Siemens NX and Teamcenter or another 3D MCAD tool.
- Experience in an aerospace development environment however experience in other industry sectors will be considered.
- Knowledge in the application of tolerance analysis, GDT.
- Knowledge of materials and finishes as appropriate to aerospace equipment.
- Knowledge of manufacturing techniques and process for electronic products.
- Ability to estimate and manage own workload on tasks.
- Willing to extend work hours on occasion to suit project demand.