Project Manager - SDP
Babcock is the UK's leading engineering support services organisation employing over 28,000 people across the world. Babcock offer a hugely diverse number of career options.
Purpose of role:
Project Manager responsible for the delivery of Submarine Dismantling Projects (SDP) for Operations in No2 Dock, AWAF and supporting facilities. The Project Manager will support the Senior Project Manager / Programme Manager in managing complex nuclear programme of work.
Key Technical Skills
Competent (applies the competence independently, primarily in situations of limited complexity , has a comprehensive knowledge in situations of limited complexity) in the following APM competencies -
- Conflict Management - the process of identifying and addressing differences that, if unmanaged , would affect the delivery of the project
- Consolidated Planning - consolidate and document the fundamental components of the project : scope, schedule, resource requirements, budgets, risks, opportunities/issues , quality and HSE requirements
- Contract Management - The nature of contracts and statements of work , and the implications for the contracting organisations and the suppliers into this
- Requirements Management - Characteristics of well specified requirements; relationships between outputs, acceptance criteria, and benefits
- Schedule Management - The process for developing , baselining and monitoring of an integrated schedule to inform the direction of the project
- Budgeting and Cost Control - the process for setting agreed budgets and the control of forecast and actual costs against that budget
- Risk, opportunity and issue management - Risk and opportunity identification techniques and the ongoing management and control techniques throughout the project
- Stakeholder and Communications management - the systemic identification and analysis of stakeholders , and the planning and conduct of interactions to engage and communicate with them
- Reviews - the legal, regulatory and organisational requirements for review , the range of factors that need to be evaluated during reviews, and how these may vary throughout the lifecycle of the project
- Change Control - the features of a rigorous change control process , and how to establish , implement and maintain a change control process
- Nuclear Licensee Management - Actively support the Programme Manager and NDSM to safely lead and manage the nuclear licensed site and demonstrate compliance and control against all regulatory requirements.
- Nuclear Design and Safety Management cycle - Actively support the NDSM in the delivery of the SDP Safety Case
* Please refer to APM Competence Framework for full list of competencies and further detail.
Top 5 Major Tasks and Activities
- Lead on Health, Safety, Security, Environment and Quality within the project.
- Delivery of project to the baseline schedule/cost and performance in line with project and business success criteria
- Establishing and maintaining governance arrangements for the delivery of the project , defining clear roles, responsibilities and accountabilities that align with the company Business Management System;
- Accountable for planning and monitoring the programme (profit & loss); agree plans with the Sponsor and submit/present regular Monthly Review Reports indicating any deviations and corrective action taken
- Managing the Customer Interface and associated management of the project including identification and monitoring of project risks (threats and opportunities), planning and implementing response to these and responding to other issues that affect the project.
Additional Key Accountabilities
(Describe the roles operational responsibility in terms of volume/quality/timeliness/decision making/tactical/strategic)
- Support to Business Winning
- Responsible for forming and managing effective relationships with project stakeholders;
- Leading the project to deliver world class performance by means of employee engagement, continuous improvement and identifying and implementing the latest technology;
- Commitment to and the ongoing monitoring of programme baseline (cost / schedule / risk)
- Responsible for coordinating activities and dependencies within the project and identifying external dependencies on other projects, resource or environments
- Effectively managing the resources in matrix delivery organisation, influencing and leading the stream
- Planning and controlling finances as a means of driving performance
- Provide a point of escalation for project team members
- Responsible for managing third party suppliers to achieve the desired programme outcomes
- Attending and contributing the business PM Forum
Quality Responsibilities and Accountabilities
- Demonstrate their leadership involvement in Quality
- Ensure that business strategy is linked to individual objectives for all in their BU
- Develop and communicate Quality KPIs and dashboards
- Drive Quality Improvements based on analysis of trends etc.
- To ensure compliance with nuclear regulatory expectations and demonstrating the local Business Management System is effectively managed and maintained.
Continuous Improvement Responsibilities and Accountabilities
- Responsible for working with the business unit functional departments to identify and deliver improvements in quality, schedule and cost within the project.
- Identification of Lessons learned back into the business
Financial Awareness and Management
- Uses knowledge of the Financial strategy to set up and communicate through informed business plans, the governance frameworks to ensure that strategy is implemented in their area of the business
- Manages the financial aspects of the business including the stewardship of the assets and resources used in the provision of services, ensuring compliance with all governance, legal and regulatory requirements
- Is consistent in the expectations of others and provides clear leadership of the Company financial strategy
Key Outputs / Deliverables: Business Unit
- Project Management Plan
- Project Gate Reviews
- Project Baseline packs
- Weekly Project updates
- Monthly project reports accurately reflecting the project status in terms of HSSE, Quality, Schedule and Cost;
- Quarterly Estimate at Completion
- Customer Satisfaction reports
- Formal minutes/actions from key meetings
- Project Close out reports
Describe with whom the role regularly interfaces:
- Programme Manager / Senior Project Manager
- Nuclear Operations Manager
- Head of Nuclear Business Unit
- Head of PM
- Regulators (ONR/SEPA/Etc.)
- Functional Leads
- Project Controls Manager/Team
- Project Accountant
- On-site suppliers/sub-contractors
Commercial Responsibilities and Accountabilities
- Ensures all contractual relationships are being actively managed in accordance with client's and sub-contractor contracts.
- Acts as a role model and considers all risks and commercial best practice at all times.
- Is responsible for commercial delivery, supporting all activities that develop and support a commercial culture.
- Evaluates risk V reward in all projects or activities.
- Demonstrates a full understanding and make the correct commercial decisions in support of the BU strategy.
- Demonstrates a full awareness that poor commercial management could have significant reputational and financial costs for all stakeholders.
- Measures performance, challenges inefficient processes and makes proposals for improvement.
HSSE Responsibilities and Accountabilities
- Providing clear leadership acting as a role model to set the standards and hold their team accountable to prevent injury and ill health to the workforce and other persons affected by the company's operations
- Promoting the inclusion of appropriate Environmental protection measures are included in all company activities to minimise the impact of the company's activities on the environment
- Responsible for supporting the safety performance of the Nuclear Business Unit covering nuclear, radiological, environmental and conventional safety.
Key Leadership / Interpersonal / Behavioural Skills
(PTS Level 3)
- Creates a sense of common purpose within and across teams
- Uses business knowledge to provide direction for self and others
- Uses judgement to identify and take appropriate decisions which impact broadly on the project and business
- Actively supports customer service improvements
- Identifies and takes ownership of problems affecting the project and function
- Enables others to deliver results and holds them accountable against the agreed established goals
- Contributes to and encourages innovation and generation of new ideas within the project and function
- Manages and implements change plans within the project
- Builds a sense of team spirit, modelling and encouraging co-operative relationships both within and outside of the project to deliver shared objectives
- Actively supports the development of others to achieve role demands
- Sets clear performance objectives and manages day to day performance constructively, fairly and promptly
- Role may require occasionally working in a radiological controlled environment.
- Must be UK National and eligible for SC Clearance.
Please note this role is permanent and open to internal applicants only.
Internal applicants - please ensure you advise your line manager when applying.
All applications should be made online. If you experience difficulties please click here Recruitment correspondence is normally by email so please check your email account and spam folder regularly.