Head of Project Delivery
Babcock is the UK's leading engineering support services organisation employing over 28,000 people across the world. Babcock offer a hugely diverse number of career options.
To lead, motivate and manage a team responsible for providing strong and active Project Management. To oversee the development of a global Project Management methodology ensuring that comprehensive project, quality, and risk plans are prepared and maintained. To focus on the professional execution of projects and to prepare reports for senior stakeholders as part of the drive to improve Portfolio management.
To lead a team of staff responsible for managing projects from initial PoC through to value delivery, establishing and maintaining the correct structures to control and monitor the deliverables to the business such as project planning, scheduling, controlling and reporting activities. To ensure realistic estimates of costs, timescales and resource requirements are agreed and monitored, taking corrective action as necessary. To ensure that Project Management supports the ability to respond in an agile manner to manage risk and ensure that any strategic problems are identified at the earliest opportunity and that solutions are identified and implemented, in line with change control processes.
To provide a strategy for Project, Portfolio and Programme management success including efficient use of resources and maximising reuse. To contribute extensively to the annual planning and budgetary process for Babcock IS and to the business strategy of the organisation as a whole, including strategies governing the direction and conduct of Project Management. To ensure that stakeholder engagement is effective and supports the needs of Babcock IS as well as Babcock International overall.
To liaise with management at the highest levels within the business, managing their understanding and expectations for projects.
To be an ambassador for Babcock IS through delivering successful Project Management activities to support the business in a professional manner that engenders a culture of partnering with the business, and whose team is perceived to be adding real value to creating bottom line benefit.
To be diligent, commercially aware and feed into partner relationships with suppliers and colleagues, promoting the delivery of value through affordable best fit business systems.
To support the CTO and CIO to deliver the long term technology strategy for IT and set an exceptional example of professionalism and successful business change.
Major Tasks, Activities and Outputs
- Establish and maintain the Project Management approach across the IT function. Align Project, Portfolio and Programme activities with business strategy and the business solution objectives.
- Evaluate changes to Project and Programme management practices, both Agile and waterfall, and initiate improvement to organisation practices.
- Manage the Project Team budget and contribute to the Babcock IS and Babcock Group budget planning as required
- Ensure that realistic estimates of costs, timescales and resource requirements are agreed and carry out the active monitoring of projects against these criteria, taking corrective action as necessary.
- Ensure that Project Management supports the ability to respond in an agile manner to manage risk and dependency and ensure that any strategic problems are identified at the earliest opportunity and that solutions are identified and implemented, in line with change control processes. Retain objectivity and proper understanding of a problem or situation when placed under conditions of stress. Ensure that the overall IT organisation manages its response to change in a sensible way, ensuring impacts and implications are clear.
- Liaise with management at the highest levels within the business, escalating, influencing and managing their expectations and gaining their support on corrective action for projects.
- Is proactive, taking action and anticipating opportunities, supporting and helping direct the wider organisation.
- Convey a level of confidence and professionalism, positively influencing and persuading others to take a specific course of action when there is no direct line of command or control.
- Identify goals and objectives, motivating and leading others towards their achievement.
- Build, manage and lead a team of project delivery professionals working to the highest standards in Project Management. Have the commercial acumen to divide work activity between team members to ensure a cost effective team structure that should deliver services from the most cost effective locations globally. Help others to understand their values, needs, goals and limitations and advising them how they can develop their effectiveness to the limits of their ability.
- As a senior leader within the IT organisation, be exceptional at team building and leading the Projects team; demonstrating a 'one team' leadership culture by taking ownership for the success of change programme delivery.
- Potentially lead key projects personally and provide direct and clear best practice and guidance in active Project Management.
Qualification and Experience
- Degree qualified in a quantitative subject
- Project Management qualified such as IS Project Management (Higher Level), MAPM - Member of the Association for Project Management, PMP ® - Project Management Professional, Practitioner Certificate in PRINCE2 ®, Chartered IT Professional (CITP), MSP (Managing Successful Programmes), SCRUM Master, PMI ACP, APMG AgilePM
- At least 10 years of senior Project Management experience including knowledge of and strategic vision for Project methodology, structure and approach within a technology environment.
- Ability to directly line manage globally distributed teams of over 30; manage project teams including third party team members of over 100 staff.
- Personable and professional leadership style that is customer focused, and always strives to achieve a win-win scenario despite having to resolve conflict and take difficult decisions on behalf of the Group.
- Expert in principles, methods, techniques and tools for the effective management of projects from initiation through to implementation. Example: PRINCE2, PMI, MSP, SCRUM, Kanban.
- Expert in methods and techniques associated with planning and monitoring progress of projects. Examples: product/work breakdown structures, baselining, critical path analysis, earned value, resource analysis, conflict resolution.
- Expert in the identification, assessment and management of project risks, which could result in time or cost over-runs, or failure to deliver products which are fit for purpose.
- Strong understanding of the metrics associated with a problem or situation, their significance and relationship, and being able to manipulate these as necessary to identify solutions.
- Skilled at understanding the hierarchy and culture of Babcock, customer and supplier organisations and able to identify the decision makers and influencers.
- Highly collaborative.
- Strong attention to detail.
- Skilled at delegating tasks, responsibilities and authorities effectively.
- Good oral and written communication skills, ability to create engaging material to support active project management including stakeholder engagement.
- Able to identify goals and objectives, and motivating and leading others towards their achievement.
- Able to keep overall objectives and strategies in mind, and not be deflected by matters of detail
- Comfortable working across a multi disciplined environment
Travel will be required with some overnight stays away from home
30 September 2018
Dependant on the administrative privileges required for this role the job incumbent may have access to controlled technology and or information, such as, but not limited to, ITAR.
Babcock offers a competitive salary and benefits package including 25 days holiday entitlement plus public holidays, money purchase pension scheme with life assurance, share ownership scheme and a broad range of career opportunities.
For further information or to be considered for this role, please click apply to follow the link below to our Careers page.
All applications should be made online. Recruitment correspondence is normally by e-mail, so please check your e-mail account and spam folder regularly. If you are experiencing any problems applying online, please visit http://www.babcockinternational.com/careers/faq/
All applications should be made online. If you experience difficulties please click here Recruitment correspondence is normally by email so please check your email account and spam folder regularly.