Application Developer / Aldermaston
Provision of day-to-day support Software Analyst for a large bespoke safety related control system including the analysis and implementation of software system enhancements - Reading Area
Starting salary £40,660 with the opportunity to progress up to £63,070 dependant on competencies gained and deployed.
AWE is currently recruiting a Software Analyst that is willing to learn a legacy PL/1 programming language but is familiar designing and implementing software deliverables in C, C++, Pascal languages. This position will also involve undertake the role of Systems Administrator for several mainframe computers. The role will be in support of a small team of System Analyst programmers as well as undertaking aspects of system support and dealing with customer requests.
As a Software Analyst you will:
- Design and implement major / minor PL/1 software modifications to several Stratus mainframe computers running VOS operating system to formalised software design methodologies
- Ensure maximum uptime of systems to meet agreed customer Service Level Agreements (SLAs)
- Lead software modification packages of work through the approval procedures for eventual end point deployment
- Responsible for creating software test procedures as well as reviewing other analysts test procedures giving constructive feedback
- Maintain and carryout partial / complete backup procedures to several Stratus mainframe computers
- Collate, maintain and action a software defect database
- Maintain administration privileges and duties to several Stratus mainframe computers
- React to customer enquiries and generate reports and supporting evidence if requested
- BSc or equivalent in a computer science or other engineering related subject with good software development experience
- Good working knowledge of software development lifecycles as well as BS EN 61508 safety systems
- High level of organisational, written and verbal communication skills
- Capable of dealing with and resolving problems including those arising through interaction with other sections / departments & external customers
- Ability to work as part of a team
- Good attention to detail
- Good level of computer literacy
The working pattern associated with this role is:
- 9 day fortnight, every other Friday off
- Willing and able to maintain the required Security Clearance for this role
- Willing to visit a controlled radioactive facility and wear the appropriate monitoring devices when requested
- Fitness will be assessed at the pre-employment medical held at AWE which follows the initial selection process
AWE plays a crucial role in the defence of the United Kingdom, by providing and maintaining the warheads for the country's nuclear deterrent. We are a centre of scientific, engineering and technological excellence, with some of the most advanced research, design and production facilities in the world. Our unique expertise also assists the UK Government in developing and delivering a range of innovative and integrated support services, including national security and counter terrorism solutions.
AWE is an equal opportunities employer. We value diversity and welcome applications from candidates from all backgrounds. We particularly welcome applications from sections of the community which are currently under-represented at AWE, including women, BAME and applicants with disabilities.