Hardware Support Engineer
Hardware Support Engineer - Aldermaston
Provision of day-to-day hardware support for a large bespoke safety related control system as well as undertaking the analysis and implementation of small software/hardware system enhancements - Reading Area
AWE is currently recruiting a Hardware Support Engineer with a good electronics background and familiarity with C, C++, Pascal programming languages. The role will be in support of a small team of Hardware/Software Engineers and the successful candidate will undertake all aspects of system support and customer requests.
As a Hardware Engineer you will be required to:
- Ensure maximum uptime of systems to meet agreed customer Service Level Agreements (SLAs).
- Provide support to front line C&I hardware team for day-to-day support for a large bespoke safety related control system.
- Maintain an off-line hardware development simulation system to enable offline testing of equipment and new software builds.
- Aid/support front line C&I team in fault diagnosis and feedback and anomalies that require further analysis.
- Diagnose and support network communication issues in both Ethernet and serial communications (RS232).
- Undertake repairs to faulty electronic bespoke circuit boards and create new circuit boards when required to maintain a healthy stock level.
- Undertake small projects which will include prototyping skills, PCB CAD, use of Arduino and Raspberry Pi platforms to support proof of concept ideas before designing full solutions, as a team, to be manufactured by external suppliers which will enhance our current system.
- Collate, maintain and action a hardware defect database.
- React to customer enquiries and generate reports and supporting evidence if requested.
- Maintain and promote high personal standards in environment, safety, health, security and quality and be a great team player.
- ONC or equivalent in an Electronics and Computing or other engineering related subject with electronic/software maintenance experience.
- Good organisational, written and verbal communication skills.
- High level of organisational, written and verbal communication skills.
- Capable of dealing with and resolving problems including those arising through interaction with other sections / departments & external customers.
- Team Player.
- Good attention to detail.
- Good level of computer literacy including Windows platforms and Linux platforms from command line commands.
- Willing and able to maintain the required security for this role you will need to be over 18 years of age.
- Fitness will be assessed at the pre-employment medical held at AWE which follows the initial selection process
AWE plays a crucial role in the defence of the United Kingdom, by providing and maintaining the warheads for the country's nuclear deterrent. We are a centre of scientific, engineering and technological excellence, with some of the most advanced research, design and production facilities in the world. Our unique expertise also assists the UK Government in developing and delivering a range of innovative and integrated support services, including national nuclear security and counter-terrorism solutions.
AWE is an equal opportunities employer. We value diversity and welcome applications from candidates from all backgrounds. We particularly welcome applications from sections of the community which are currently under-represented at AWE, including women, BAME and applicants with disabilities.