Network and Firewall Specialist
- Job Type
We are looking for a Senior Network and Firewall Specialist to join the Information Services business team. As a Network and Firewall Specialist you will support and maintain AWE's Firewall and Network Systems and identify and resolve network problems following agreed procedures.
As a Network and Firewall Specialist you will be responsible for ensuring network services are maintained and up to date and resolve any loss of service due to hardware or software issues while making sure you meet service level KPI's.
We are looking for the Network and Firewall Specialist to have:
- Extensive experience in the installation, operation, maintenance and troubleshooting of wired and wireless networks, ideally on large or multiple sites
- Good understanding of network security issues and protective methods
- Strong experience using JUNIPER routing/switching/firewall equipment, plus ideally CISCO and Extreme switches and Fortigate Firewalls
- Installation and configuration of switch/router/firewall components to establish/restore service to environments.
- Knowledge of webmail and external email configuration and controls.
- Experience of implementing network security (dot1x, port security and network access controls)
- Experience with routing protocols ideally OSPFv2
- Experience with IPSEC and SSL protocols
- Experience with fibre cabling and Data Centre cabling management
- Experience with Data Centre network monitoring including SNMP and Syslog protocols
- Understanding of the OSI model and associated network service components
- Knowledge of IPv4 addressing and sub-netting
- Excellent analytical and problem-solving skills
- Strong inter-personal and communication skills
AWE plays a crucial role in the defence of the United Kingdom, by providing and maintaining the warheads for the country's nuclear deterrent. We are a centre of scientific, engineering and technological excellence, with some of the most advanced research, design and production facilities in the world. Our unique expertise also assists the UK Government in developing and delivering a range of innovative and integrated support services, including national nuclear security and counter-terrorism solutions.
AWE is an equal opportunities employer. We value diversity and welcome applications from candidates from all backgrounds. We particularly welcome applications from sections of the community which are currently under-represented at AWE, including women, BAME and applicants with disabilities.