The role of the Principal Engineer within Technical Services is to be the most senior technical resource to resolve highly complex technical design or service issues that cannot be resolved through the normal operations and maintenance procedures and provide leadership for root cause analysis. To work closely with the other technical resources, and to act as a mentor for their chosen field. The Principal Engineer will also support the Sales and Presales teams to provide the technical expertise required to close sales opportunities. This will typically involve technical presentations, solution demonstrations, solution design/configuration, proposal and bid response documentation.
- To act as a 4th line technical lead to resolves technical problems, either design or support related problems. To take a lead where required in root cause analysis to drive issue resolution and limit impact to the customer.
- To act as an internal technical escalation point and to be able to mentor/coach internal resources to achieve a higher level of service. To train internal staff on product and network. To devise and deliver training programs and support documentation for Operations.
- Provide Technical assistance to the sales teams in whatever format is required (e.g. in customer meetings, presentations and response to tenders) so that opportunities are supported with the correct Technical expertise.
- Assist customer and vendor teams with the validation of new products, software and services to ensure trouble free network introduction. To provide expert consultative support during major software upgrades
- Provide input to the customer to ensure operational needs are taken into account and to assist defining monitoring and troubleshooting requirements. To take a lead in efforts to respond to performance related issues.
- To assist in the design of Proof of Concept scenarios, Type Approval activities in the telent lab and demo facilities. To help in the creation of test type documentation and test scenarios.
- To attend, as required, the following customer facing meetings, support reviews, project based, monthly service reviews, weekly incident reviews.
- Be an expert in the required Technology for your section. Create and deliver: technical presentations, solution demonstrations, solution design/configuration, and proposal development.
- To take a lead in defining value add projects and to assist in delivering the projects
- Ensure time sheets are accurate and submitted weekly. Incident and Problem Management call updates, where required, are accurate, timely and meaningful. Overtime and expenses are completed and submitted accurately.
- Handling and protection of telent information and reporting of security incidents as defined in the Information Security Policy and the HR Information Security Policy.
Business Operations Skills:
7 Years + Experience supporting Networks/Data Centre
- CCIE R&S
- Elegible for Security Clearance (SC and NVPP3)
- Cisco Specialisation
- Wireless Experience
- Technically leading from the front.
- Excellent work ethic and a strong sense of ownership
- Remain hands-on with technology
- Builds trust and a collaborative relationship with stakeholders across the organisation and colleagues within the team
- Strives for continuous improvement, delivers and supports new processes and directions
- Excellent customer facing and presentation skills
Key Management Skill Requirements:
- Excellent verbal and written communications
- Leadership qualities
- Presentation skills
- Technical skills
- Problem solving skills
- Commercial / business awareness
- Ability to work independently
Excellent employee benefits:
telent is committed to ensuring that we offer industry leading career opportunities, salary and benefits packages. Join us and you can expect to receive:
- 33 days holiday, including public holidays, plus the option to buy or sell five days each year
- Company pension scheme
- A range of family friendly policies including childcare vouchers
- An employee-funded car leasing scheme
- Occupational health support
Every time you pick up the phone, surf the Internet, travel on a motorway, catch a train, bus or tube, or even dial 999; chances are telent have enabled the technology to make this happen.
With current annual revenues of £399M, 1,900 employees and 23 operational locations across the UK and Ireland, we are a leading technology company which designs and delivers solutions and services for organisations to create, improve and maintain their ICT, mission critical communications networks and operational systems, vital in the effective operation of the nation’s infrastructure.
We reserve the right to close this vacancy once we have received sufficient applications.
telent is an equal opportunities employer and is committed to diversity and inclusion.