Business Development Manager – Defence Consultancy
RINA is looking to recruit a Business Development Manager – Defence Consultancy to join the global RINA family as part of our Space & Defence business, a business that has worked on UK Government and Military projects for in excess of 70 years. This new role will be instrumental in the development and growth of Consultancy Services across the Space & Defence Business Unit.
We are looking for a Business Development Manager with a Military or Defence Industry background and experience of working across Defence and Security projects to provide the momentum we need to realise our vision and achieve our growth plans. This role can be based from our Bristol, Swindon or Leatherhead offices. A home based worker may also be considered. UK and international travel should be expected to network with clients and colleagues.
You will work closely with the Business Development Director and the Space & Defence management team to strategically and proactively develop new business across high calibre professional services, such as, Business and Service Design, Business Transformation, Operational Excellence, Business Process Engineering, Change Management, Bid and Programme Management; supported by Project and Financial Controls, Process Modelling & Simulation Solutions. Your key responsibilities as Business Development Manager will include:
- Campaign planning, support the delivery of the business strategy and plan, contributing ideas and opportunities
- Focus on new business opportunities for Space & Defence including client visits and customer management
- Support our focus on customer satisfaction, repeat business and developing new markets
- Provide support and lead on major contracts, tenders and quotations
- Update the pipeline/opportunities tool with new prospects to be followed up
- Lead and support contract closing activities and capture lessons learned
- Explore opportunities for alliances and partnerships to exploit new markets and opportunities
- Work with the management team to identify potential acquisition opportunities
- Work across the RINA Group to develop ‘cross selling’ and mutual opportunities
- Track competitor activity and provide timely updates on competitor news and intelligence to the team
- Prepare and submit timely and accurate monthly reports of business development activities
Qualifications & experience
- A strong track record driving business within the Defence and Security sector
- Previous roles will have been Business Management and Business Development focussed e.g.: Relationship Manager, Account Executive, Sales Manager, Business Capture, Business Manager etc
- Previous experience working for a consulting services / solutions business would be ideal
- A strong and current personal network within the Defence and Security sector is essential
- Significant experience in writing, appraising and negotiating contracts and commercial agreements
- Due to the security clearance requirements of the role candidates should be SC cleared at the point of employment
You will be a highly motivated self-starter, goal focussed and tenacious. Your communication and listening skills teamed with your proactive approach enable you to immediately establish fruitful working relationships with customers and colleagues. You are able to present ideas successfully and are armed with strong negotiation and persuasion skills. You will have a flexible approach, happy to adapt to changing business needs and at home working under pressure with multiple demands.
RINA is a global corporation providing testing, inspection, certification and consulting services across the Energy, Marine, Certification, Transport & Infrastructure and Industry sectors. We have been at the forefront of providing innovative and technical solutions for more than 150 years, working closely with clients as a trusted partner, assisting them in the most effective, safe and sustainable way. Through a global network of 3,700 talented professionals, operating in 170 offices in 65 countries, we support our clients across the entire life cycle of their projects. Facing new challenges, adapting to new contexts and being where big things happen: working with us means turning our clients’ ideas into success. You will transform challenges into opportunities and brilliant ideas into excellent solutions.
Space & Defence
Our Space & Defence team works with government defence ministries, space agencies and prime contractors, here’s some examples of our most recent work:
- Security engineering to support the design and verification of the GALILEO system, Thales Alenia Space Italia
- Training needs analysis supporting the UK’s Maritime Command and Staff Training capability, delivering battle staff training to senior Naval personnel – Royal Navy
- Safety and environmental audits of wide range of UK Military Programmes including Apache, Chinook, Voyager & Unmanned Air Systems and equipment for Force Protection Delivery Team, UK Ministry of Defence
- Analytical and modelling support for the investment decision to transform RAF Brize Norton, RAF 2 Group
We offer competitive salaries and pension contributions, you’ll enjoy a generous leave allowance, private medical care, life insurance and more. Our great financial benefits are only part of the attraction, you can expect an excellent induction, quick integration and real opportunities for professional development. As part of our growing global team you’ll find yourself working with world-class engineers for clients in a variety of market sectors.