Production Operatives - Reading Area
Starting salary £18,521 (plus allowances for some roles) with the opportunity to progress up to £26,000+ dependant on competencies gained.
Are you looking for a Career Change?
Interested in working in the Nuclear Industry but worried you don't have the qualifications?
A Production Operative role at AWE will give you your first steps to a career in a diverse and unique manufacturing environment. As a Production Operative you will be key to providing manufacturing support to the defence and security of the United Kingdom. You will deliver hands on production and process operations within multiple environments including science, engineering and logistics.
We also have Production Operative roles within the business all requiring different levels of knowledge and experience and are extremely varied. These may include, but are not limited to, warehouse duties, stock control, operation and maintenance machinery or quality checking products.
For all roles you will provided with full training, PPE and will have a development plan that will allow you to progress your career at AWE.
- Able to work at both Aldermaston and Burghfield is desirable
- Good communication skills
- A good level of standard education in Maths and English
- Able to work within a team
- Good attention to detail
- Basic IT skills in Microsoft Word and Excel
- Knowledge of basic health and safety practice an advantage
- Experience of an engineering or manufacturing environment however it is not essential as training will be given
- Able to work shifts (desirable)
Our standard working pattern is a 9 day fortnight which comes with the benefit of every other Friday off. Some areas operate different patterns depending on a business need. This may involve working a shift pattern which comes with a 20% shift allowance:
Week 1 (5 days)
Week 2 (4 days)
06:00 - 14:45
06:00 - 14:45
06:00 - 14:30
14:15 - 23:00
14:15 - 23:00
14:00 - 22:30
- In order to obtain the required security for these roles you will need to be 18 years of age These roles are governed by Health and Safety at Work Regulations and require all candidates to have an Occupational Health-set fitness level in order to wear the appropriate Personal Protective Equipment (PPE) needed to work in controlled environments. This includes a respirator.
- Fitness will be assessed at the pre-employment medical held at AWE which follows the initial selection process. Candidates should be aware that one of the key requirements for ascertaining this fitness level relates to their Body Mass Index (BMI). Candidates for the role of Production Operative must have a BMI of less than 35.
- Candidates must be willing and able to obtain and maintain the necessary security clearance for the role and be willing and able to work in designated facilities.
AWE plays a crucial role in the defence of the United Kingdom, by providing and maintaining the warheads for the country's nuclear deterrent. We are a centre of scientific, engineering and technological excellence, with some of the most advanced research, design and production facilities in the world. Our unique expertise also assists the UK Government in developing and delivering a range of innovative and integrated support services, including national nuclear security and counter-terrorism solutions.
AWE is an equal opportunities employer. We value diversity and welcome applications from candidates from all backgrounds. We particularly welcome applications from sections of the community which are currently under-represented at AWE, including women, BAME and applicants with disabilities.