Senior System Engineer (Integration)
System Integration Engineer
General Dynamics UK is looking for engineers to be part of an exciting new programme for the Ministry of Defence that will modernise the existing tactical mobile network for the British Armed Forces. The programme delivers new capability and performance of the computing, communications and situational awareness for the soldier.
The programme will develop and deliver a new system based on an open tactical CIS architecture that integrates existing and new communication products. The system includes specification and procurement of software and hardware products as well as development of new hardware and software products and software interfaces to open up the existing tactical CIS system to support reduced integration effort and cost while enabling the system for future evolution with new technology and capability.
To meet this challenge, General Dynamics UK is looking for Engineering and Project Managers, System Architects, Systems Engineers, Platform Engineers, Software Engineers and Test Engineers to work on the development, integration and test of the system and products.
Working within a Multi-Disciplined engineering team, following an agile development methodology to deliver the System Engineering aspects of the programme. The successful candidate will be responsible for:
- Analyse the design of the systems under test, in order to inform ensuing tasks.
- Develop and document requirements for system integration and testing activities on C4I programmes.
- Provide representation of the systems under test through Unified modelling language (UML).
- In conjunction with the rest of the programme team, ensure the programme succeeds.
- Support the development of appropriate integration and testing strategies.
- Support the detailed planning to successfully execute the identified strategy.
- Define test requirements, specifications and scripts under the supervision of a Systems Senior Engineer.
- Execute the defined integration activities.
- Execute the tests and manage the test results and associated data.
- Support the production of test reports and associated test conclusions.
- Support the status reporting of integration and test activities.
- Support the continuous improvement of integration and testing processes, procedures and tools.
- Significant, technical competence in integration and testing of complex software based systems; be prepared to describe examples where significant technical competence has been demonstrated.
- Understanding of communications: ability to orient a problem under investigation against the Internet and OSI Reference Models, and good understanding of TCP/IP protocol suite and basic routing technologies. Be prepared to discuss and demonstrate this.
- Proven, methodical, fault finding skills; comfortable working significant amounts of time in a C4I technical laboratory, in adherence to laboratory rules (for example safe handling, equipment tracking).
- Pro-active and flexible approach to resolution of issues to required timescales.
- Excellent written communication skills. Proficient in use of Microsoft applications, including Word, Excel, Visio. Ability to generate well-structured technical documents and meeting minutes. Ability to manage documents through a review process, and achieve document release to committed deadlines.
- Excellent verbal communication skills. Ability to present formally at progress reviews. Ability to contribute productively and democratically in team discussions.
GDUK offers a competitive compensation package with opportunities for growth and professional development. A flexible benefits package, 25 days holiday, a compressed fortnight offering every other Friday off and an attractive bonus scheme.