Systems Administrator and DevOps Engineer
You will be a valued member of a systems administration and build team which is responsible for all aspects of our environment (physical and virtual).
This medium-sized environment is run across several sites in the UK situated in Birmingham and Croydon (predominantly Croydon). It is possible that some travel to Birmingham will be involved but this will be sporadic and unlikely to be overnight. The environment is currently used by around 100 users and this is likely to increase in the coming year.
This is a hands-on role which will require desktop deployments, physical server management and handling, networking, administrative and user support capabilities as well as significant aspects of DevOps activities such as configuration management with puppet and other tools. We will be migrating some services to AWS over the next year so there will be opportunities to be involved in AWS.
Keeping the system secure is particularly important. The candidate will be involved in the implementation of security controls and will therefore need to have previously been exposed to tools which will be used such as monitoring, encryption, firewalls, security zones, virus scanning and role based access techniques and patching.
The following core skills and experience are required:
- Professional attitude and demeanour with good interpersonal skills. This is a customer facing role.
- Linux (Ubuntu desktop and server, Centos, RHEL). It is absolutely essential to be deeply familiar with Linux as it is at the core of the role. Ability to self-organise, take responsibility for a complex task and delegate subtasks to others.
- Good puppet and bash scripting skills with good knowledge of GIT.
- Physical infrastructure (rack mounted) experience is paramount, including rack mounted servers, blades, SAN and other types of storage, switches, firewalls, patching and other datacentre related skills.
- Ability to work in a team. The successful applicant will be working in a team of four other system engineers.
- Past experience with virtualisation is essential (VMWare ESX ,KVM)
- Other tools and skills with which familiarity is essential: NTP, DNS, package managers (yum, apt), patching, IPTables, routing, LVM, LDAP, log aggregation, monitoring, other common Linux open source tools
The following items are desirable
- Windows server: Some experience of windows server administration is desirable but not essential
- Networking: A thorough working knowledge of networking is required. Some hands on experience with switches and firewalls would be beneficial