- Job Type
It's an exciting time to join the Environment, Safety and Health function at AWE, we are transforming the way we work and continuing to support the demand of the business. Working for one of the area's largest employers and enjoying an excellent work/life balance, we can offer a competitive basic salary plus generous holiday entitlement, nine day working fortnight, workplace pension scheme and additional flexible benefits scheme.
We are looking for a Safety Specialist to provide general/industrial/nuclear/explosives safety advice, guidance and operational support for the staff deployed within specified facilities and programmes and within the central ESH sub-function. The Safety Specialist will need to follow agreed strategies in line with relevant legislation, industry standards and AWE's policies, procedures and guidance. Focusing on data reporting and associated documentation.
We are looking for the successful candidate to have -
- Commitment and willingness to undertake necessary training and update knowledge as and when required including CPD.
- A flexible and adaptable approach to work, who responds positively to change and the confidence to challenge long established processes and activities..
- Experience with Investigation and inspection techniques.
- Evidence of effective team working.
- Safety advisor experience in a high hazard environment.
- Knowledge of aspects of emergency response in a high hazard environment.
- Good knowledge and ability to interpret relevant legislation.
- Level 3 Qualification e.g. NVQ Level 3 in Occupational Health & Safety, NEBOSH Construction Certificate or NEBOSH General Certificate or equivalent.
- IOSH grade of Affiliate, Associate or newly upgraded TechIOSH (in order to develop H&S competence through continuous professional development)
Individuals interested in this permanent opportunity will be required to be eligible for UK Security Clearance
AWE plays a crucial role in the defence of the United Kingdom, by providing and maintaining the warheads for the country's nuclear deterrent. We are a centre of scientific, engineering and technological excellence, with some of the most advanced research, design and production facilities in the world. Our unique expertise also assists the UK Government in developing and delivering a range of innovative and integrated support services, including national nuclear security and counter-terrorism solutions.
AWE is an equal opportunities employer. We value diversity and welcome applications from candidates from all backgrounds. We particularly welcome applications from sections of the community which are currently under-represented at AWE, including women, BAME and applicants with disabilities.