Senior Engineer (AR&M)
It's an exciting time to join the Compliance function at AWE, we are transforming the way we work and continuing to support the demand of the business. Working for one of the area's largest employers and enjoying an excellent work/life balance, we can offer a competitive basic salary plus generous holiday entitlement, nine day working fortnight, workplace pension scheme and additional flexible benefits scheme.
We are currently looking to recruit a Senior Engineer who will be a member of the Engineering Reliability Department (ERD) focused particularly around Availability, Reliability and Maintainability (AR&M) based from our sites near Reading. Our engineers gain experience on a wide variety of equipment and projects and are able to make a direct and visible contribution to the successful running of the business.
You will be part of a multi discipline service delivery function, providing appropriate design and compliance guidance to AWE's Engineering, Asset and Project communities. The successful candidate will be engaged in providing support to our Capital Builds and the site-wide Periodic Review of Safety (PRS) projects. Some of the work associated with these roles will be carried out in safety critical environments, and therefore previous knowledge of working in these conditions would be advantageous.
Accountabilities and responsibilities vary from role to role but include;
- Develop and implement, project specific, AR&M strategies, through the complete project lifecycle, including concept, design and implementation.
- Identification of AR&M design targets, in relation to process and safety requirements.
- Responsible for the review of 3rd party reliability and safety assessments for compliance with agreed AR&M targets.
- Undertake Independent Technical Assessments (ITA's) of in-service AR&M performance of assets and those systems providing a safety function
- Provide guidance on the determination and assessment of Safety Integrity Levels (SIL) in compliance with the appropriate Standards including BS EN 61508.
- Provide guidance to Facilities and Projects with respect to compliance with appropriate IEC Standards; JSPs; Defence Standards and AQAPs.
Knowledge, Skills and Experience;
- Knowledge of Electrical \ Electronic \ Mechanical components and corresponding failure modes
- Familiarity in the use of software simulation packages and with AR&M calculations
- Ability to interpret Schematic drawings, piping and instrumentation schedules
- Understanding of Common Cause \ Common Mode Failures.
- Knowledge of Reliability requirements for Safety Systems, interlocks etc.
- Fully conversant with sources of Failure Rate and Failure Mode data.
- Degree/HND/HNC in a relevant engineering discipline or relevant work experience.
- Committed to a development plan ideally with a plan to achieve chartered status and/or professional registration in a relevant professional Institute/Institution
Individuals interested in this permanent opportunity will be required to be eligible for UK Security Clearance
AWE plays a crucial role in the defence of the United Kingdom, by providing and maintaining the warheads for the country's nuclear deterrent. We are a centre of scientific, engineering and technological excellence, with some of the most advanced research, design and production facilities in the world. Our unique expertise also assists the UK Government in developing and delivering a range of innovative and integrated support services, including national nuclear security and counter-terrorism solutions.
AWE is an equal opportunities employer. We value diversity and welcome applications from candidates from all backgrounds. We particularly welcome applications from sections of the community which are currently under-represented at AWE, including women, BAME and applicants with disabilities.