We are looking for a Waste Specialist to perform as the AWE Technical Authority for the management of Controlled, Aqueous & Radioactive Waste within the Waste Services Group.
As the Waste Specialist you will be responsible for:
- Providing technical direction to AWE on the management of waste by setting standards and guidance to ensure consistent and compliant management of waste.
- Providing authoritative advice and guidance on Controlled Aqueous and Radioactive waste
- Drive improvement in the sustainable management of waste
- Perform audits and inspections to demonstrate compliance with statute and with Company arrangements
- Liaise with theONR, EA and other stakeholders as appropriate for waste related matters
We are looking for the Waste Specialist to have previous experience of working within waste management or waste regulatory field along with either a degree in physics, post graduate qualification or relevant qualifications. Candidates should have detailed knowledge of UK and European waste legislations, standards and guidelines and knowledge of Environmental Management system and the requirements of ISO 14001.
Candidates must be willing and able to obtain and maintain the security clearance required for this role.
AWE plays a crucial role in the defence of the United Kingdom, by providing and maintaining the warheads for the country's nuclear deterrent. We are a centre of scientific, engineering and technological excellence, with some of the most advanced research, design and production facilities in the world. Our unique expertise also assists the UK Government in developing and delivering a range of innovative and integrated support services, including national nuclear security and counter-terrorism solutions.
AWE is an equal opportunities employer. We value diversity and welcome applications from candidates from all backgrounds. We particularly welcome applications from sections of the community which are currently under-represented at AWE, including women, BAME and applicants with disabilities.