SWS Fire Control Field Engineer
Lockheed Martin UK – Strategic Systems (LMUK SS) is the single contractor providing specialist Waterfront In-Service Support to the Royal Navy's Trident Strategic Weapon System (SWS). The company plays a supporting role in the operational readiness of the nation's nuclear deterrent on board the Vanguard class Trident Submarines and provides the Ministry of Defence (MoD) with safe, efficient and responsive support. LMUK SS, as part of the ABL Alliance with AWE and Babcock, are now responsible for the management of operations at the Royal Naval Armaments Depot Coulport (RNAD(C)). Supporting the joint US and UK submarine design efforts in New London Connecticut and Barrow-in–Furness.
Specific Job Description
The successful candidate will be required to work as an integral member of the LMUK SS In-Service Support team based in Faslane. Successful candidates will initially be based in Faslane for induction and SWS training updates. Thereafter, all successful candidates will be streamed into full-time LMUK positions in Faslane or the Strategic Weapons Test Organisation (SWTO) who are responsible for the build, test and commissioning of SWS at Barrow-in-Furness. Successful candidates will provide extensive SWS experience in support of the testing, commissioning and setting to work of the Strategic Weapons System.
Required skills, qualifications and experience
- Thorough knowledge of applicable SWS subsystems and support equipment
- Thorough knowledge of applicable SWS documentation
- Good working knowledge of SWS/SWSS and Ship Interfaces.
- Electrical and Mechanical engineering knowledge / background.
- Must have a minimum of an HNC or an equivalent level of experience.
- Pro-active approach to providing solutions to emergent challenges.
- Excellent fault finding skills and knowledge of sound fault finding techniques.
- Able to take ownership of tasks as delegated.
- Be a confident team player whilst being able to communicate at all levels.
- Good timekeeping essential.
- Have first rate customer interpersonal skills.
- Ability to demonstrate exceptional attention to detail.
- Possess a willingness to conduct detached travel whilst undergoing specialist tailored training and experiential opportunities. This may include protracted periods on secondment throughout the UK or to the US
Desired skills, qualifications and experience
- Thorough knowledge of SSBN SWS operations in applicable SWS subsystem
- Good working knowledge of Fibre Optic Networking.
- Good working knowledge of VME systems.